Info Phanteks T30 vs Noctua NF-A12x25 on a U12A

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
I got a Phanteks T30 last week, so I conducted an experiment to see whether it would improve the performance of my Noctua NH-U12A, and where. I spent a days or so testing out all the possibilities, and I'm crunching the numbers.

I wanted to share the preliminary results before I make my video about the experiment. Hopefully, it'll help others.

What I've learned:
  1. the A12x25 is somewhat better at pushing air through the cooler than pulling.
  2. The T30 is rather better at pushing than pulling, meaning that it's not that great as an intake fan. I assume that's because of the large hub and blade design.
  3. With the T30 on the right and the A12x25 on the left, I saw the best performance while in BIOS and under a medium load. Once I'm done crunching the numbers, I'll know which is better at pulling air. The T30 pushed better on advanced mode (switch setting on fan), not at max RPMs.
  4. The original configuration was the best for a very light load (start ups, Corsair iCUE and Asus Armoury Crate).
  5. The U12A does better with only 1 fan, on the right rather than the left.
  6. Asus Armoury Crate is better at controlling the range of RPMs than my Asus mobo's BIOS, but it nerfed my Noctua iPPCs to the point that things got hotter (from 900-1100 to 300s).
  7. With all 12 fans at max RPMs, the noise is over 60dB.