Phenom ii 720 temperature

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
i'm getting 37 degrees idle now
and when i take of the case lid, it hardly effects temperature difference. It's because there's a nice vent right infront of the fan of the cooler

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=n&u=http://www.pctreiber.net/artikel/47--prozessoren-/257-tutorial-k10stat-&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0=

Check out this link. It's translated from German. It talks about K10Stat and how you set it up. I started with this tutorial, learned the basics, and then continued the tweaking on my own.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
You can run at 3.2 GHz completely stable at 1.175 Volatage. The CPU stays idle at around 34 and load temp is at 48 for me (Using a Corsair H50 though). Still that voltage should be fine for your 720, it works with my 955.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
1.175 processor voltage? Or nb voltage. Are you saying it greatly reduces tempereature? But if i'm not going to overclock more than on stock volts or any other processor and it is just under 60 degrees celcius, is this safe for my computer? Should it hopefully last for a long time? Although i know that my motherboard can overvlock more, i have tried it and it works with no stability issues, but people tell me that when you overvolt it the life expectancy of the processor goes down.

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Staying below 60 is fine for this processor. The AMD limit for the 3 core CPU is around 70.

As for the 1.175 V @ 3.2 GHz, this is called undervolting not overvolting. AMD has a higher default voltage, so yannifb reduced the voltage thereby undervolting.

Overvolting may harm the chip on the long run. It depends on how it's done, and how it's cooled.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
yeah when i was talkingabout overvolting i meant when overclocking over 3.2ghz. I wasn't talking about that voltage level. but thanks for the help. Also. Do you know what the max temperature for the quad cores are using the 955 as an example? when the 955 comes out 95 watt in the future will it be most likely the same temperatures compared with my processor or not really? On stock or same 400mhz more clock?

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
WHATT. they should be about the same temperature as my phenom ii 720 as well shouldn't they or hotter? am i better of then with a 3 core in this smaller case and smaller cooling fan than if i were to get a quad core?

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
i know and what i'm saying is that i'm guessing i would be better of with the phenom ii 720 since it has a higher temperature limit. Someone said that if i got the quad core 95 watts it should be about the same temp as my phenom x3, and my cpu gets near 54 which is quite close to 60. Anyway i only game, or use microsoft word or low lelvel applications exclusively at one time. So if i got a quad core i should really see no difference in gaming especially? At the same clock rate.

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Did you read my last post?!

The Phenom II Quad cores have 70C as their maximum limit while the X3 720 have 60 C.

Being at 54 is fine since you are never exceeding it. If you are that worried, do not go and buy a quad core just because it's max temps is higher. NO THAT IS WRONG!

You go and invest in a better heatsink and/or case to improve your airflow.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
please don't damage or confuse me

What i'm worrying about is that the phenom x4 max temps are lower, so i'm worried if i were to get one, and when it goes on load it might possibly go near that limit boundary. So overclocking is limitted. So i would need to invest in a new case and cooler etc if i were to upgrade. But what i'm saying is that i wonder, and that i'm not actualy wanting to upgrade, but if i were to push extra power out of the computer for games. So i suppose it doesn't come of that much of a loss really, since apparently 3 cores are almost the same as quad cores in most games, apart from games like supreme commander, and also gaming will have to be done exclusively on its own in relation to doing other tasks at the same time.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
hey you know on the phenom ii x3. How it has slightly less cache, is that because amd have reduced the cache, or they have locked some of it and i can unlock it? Or would it not be stable for a 3 core?

Upendra09

Distinguished
it is locked because sometimes, they take faulty phenom II x4s and disable certain bad parts and market them as tri cores or dual core Phenom IIs

You can unlock them but it is a gamble whether or not the CPU will work later, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But if u can get it to run you get good boosts in performance and it is likt winning a lottery

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
i have an nforce motherboard apparently i can't unlock 4th core. I havn't heard about not being able to unlock cahce but i think that would go with it too. I'm happy with my 3 core i don't want a 4 core; consumes more energy. but then it's only 0.5mb of cache that the 3 core has less than the quad and is locked. That doesn't really matter at all or would make significant difference in games?

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

Most games are not coded for more than two cores, so no the fourth core doesnt really matter for gaming.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
yeah i know, there's hardly much more performance with a quad at the same clock frequency. I'm guessing the 3 core, while playing a game exclusively overclocked to 3.2ghz would be about 5 FPS less than a phenom ii 955. Is that more or less true?

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
also i have a 1280 x 1024 screen resolution, which is native because i have a 19 inch square monitior which i am happy with because it is off exceptional qaulity. i bought it because "it makes graphics cards happy" so that i can play crysis hopefully getting more FPS and 19 inch is still fairly big. Compliments a smaller gaming rig as well, also i'm using aa and af on games apparently i heard with aa and af on, looking at reviews the pii 720 comes close to the pii 955 and the i7 920 in FPS, i think especially for crysis, lol i think it was something like 20 FPS for all of them and the i7 920 was 21 FPS for a large resolution with aa and af.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

The difference would be less than 5%.

Here is benchmarks of stock 720 vs 955

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=83&p2=88

Here is 720 vs 920 (both 2.8ghz)

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=83&p2=81

So at 3.2ghz it would be possible that the 720 could do better than 955 due to the fact that both have 6MB L3 cache, and the 720 only has to share it with 3 cores.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
so you're talking about cache in relation to core quanitity, dividing cache among the cores. When you have less cores, cache is more effectively used for more single or double core optimised tasks?
Wow looking at those links, that really is quite complimenting, so my x3 might be better than pii x4 at some games clock for clock then. Plus the pii 720 has a significantly higher maximum heat limit. It consumes less power as well, so it is a better fit into a matx case?
Also about the sceond link, you've got to be kidding me, that the pii 720 is that close. I thought the 965 even struggles with the i7 920 at games, such as far cry 2 and left for dead. Also i thought that amd does bad in general with crysis. Anandtech isn't biast though is it? But then i heard that ananstech is usually subjective in favour of intel, so this really complements the pii 720.
is it actually possible to unlock this extra cache then on an nforce motherboard for the pii 720? They aught to have got rid of the forth core on the phenom ii 720 and added more cache such as given it 12mb altogether which i have heard some intel processors do. This would have made the pii x3 an official 3 core and it should make it beat quads at games clock to clock nicely. But obviosuly gaming exclusively on its own.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
x3 are just amd's way of salvaging defective quad cores. Oh and Anand is one of the most respected names in the industry. People say he is Intel biased but he just does more coverage of Intel be cause they are on top right now.