CPUTIN: 39C

Core #0: 25C
Core #1: 25C
Core #2: 25C

and Speedan says this

CPU: 39C

Core: 25C

Is this normal? I have the stock thermal paste that came with my heatsinkfan

and do I go by the individual CPU temps or the main one, and why are the individual temps different from the main one?

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
I read most people are getting 23C with this heatsink fan, so my question is....

is my temperature 25C because that's what all 3 cores read? or is my temperautre 39C because that's what the CPUTIN reads? and speedfan reads CPU 39C and core 25C

So what do I go by?

by the way, I had my case fans set up wrong, now I am getting 36C cpu and 23C individual core.

r_manic

Administrator
I'm assuming your temperature is what CPUTIN and Speedfan list under "CPU". The whole core thing may just cover the actual cores themselves, while "CPU" covers the whole processor.

CPU temp=ambient temperature. Thats the temp that the processor says is in the area of the processor. I think of it as the temp of the heatsink, I believe it is measured from a sensor touching the heat spreader of the cpu.

Core temp= core temp. Its the temp that the procesor is reporting for each core, there's a sensor for each core, again this is my understanding.

A high ambient temp would make me suspect the case cooling needs to be looked at. 25C for an idle temp is just dandy and prolly aboout what temp for the room you are in. Most coolers are incapable of cooling below room temperature. 23C=73F.

An ambient temp of 39 is a bit high, I wouldn't try to OC higher until investigating the case cooling.

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
I bought the Phenom II 720 BE, and I wanted to test the stock HSF first to see if it will be able to handle my needs. The only modifications I did was apply Arctic Cooling MX-2 instead of the stock thermal compound, and install another 80mm fan on top of the heatsink's fan.

I am currently idling @ 31 C and the cores idle @ 19C. When I overclock to 3.2 and game, I get a max of 41 C for the CPU and a max of 32 C for the cores. After an 8-hour torture test with Prime95, the highest temp reached was 49 C.

What do you guys think? With a little bit of creativity, you can save on an aftermarket HSF, and use the cash somewhere else.

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
I am triple booting XP32, XP64, and Win7 64. Holding pretty well.

When I unlock the 4th core in Win7 and restart, the computer does not even POST. I have to clear the CMOS. I am going to try it with XP32, and 64.

Anything else you would like to add regarding this?

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006

It means his 4th core isn't unlocking under Win7. If you don't have to do that now and then while overclocking you aren't pushing the envelope very hard.

xserver, I run @ 1.4v for the 4th to be stable.

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Thanks MISRy. I am assuming you are doing all your tweaks from the BIOS, and not AMD overdrive right?

I have the gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H with the first original BIOS (F1). I cannot access the advanced options in the BIOS by hitting Ctrl + F1. I would like to enable ACC from there. Anyone has any experience with that Mobo?

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
I figured it out. You have to get into the normal BIOS first, and then hit Ctrl + F1. Up and running now with 4 cores. They are stable with prime 95 and stock voltage. Why did u go to 1.4V ? Did you see instabilities?

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006

Because the chip we are discussing, the Phenom II 720 BE is sold as a 3 core unit. The fact that some of the early units are able to have the 4th core activated by changing a setting from 0 to 1, (figuratively), is neater than peanut butter as far as I'm concerned.

xsever, yes, at lower volts the entire chip becomes unstable with the 4th core active. I'm assuming that was why the 4th core was turned off. At 1.4v though I can run OCCT and SuperPi all I want, 4 cores 4 threads and get a peak of 48c. With 4th core off I can run at 3.7G using 1.325v and can boot to 3.9 @ 1.4.

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
The problem I faced is that I unlocked the 4th core, and it was stable, but if I shutdown the computer, and tried turning it back on, the computer won't even POST. I had to reset the CMOS for the computer to boot.

Do you think that I should raise the voltage to 1.4 in order to get the computer to coldly boot with the 4th core enabled?

Please let me know as you expertise with the 4th core seem to be pretty high.

Thanks,

juanjo1024

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
hi guys. my temperature for my 720 at idle is 24C but under load is 60C + . i dont think this is normal.. is it possible the sensor is faulty?

im using the heatsink that came with my athlon x2 6000. it has a copper base with heatpipes. it works better than the stock one. the heatsink is firmly attached with thermal paste..

maybe the motherboard msi k9a2 cf-f is messed up ?
the heatsink is not burning to the touch

any ideas? should i worry?

Thanks
Juanjo