Phenom II 940 - Core 2 Quad Q9550

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I have the Asus M2N32-sli wifi deluxe with the 590 chipset, from my 6400be. build, It has been a great board, but I have only tried the 9850be in it and I have not put the Phenom II in it. I upgraded, so I think most people would not want to put a new tech chip in a old mother board, unless your trying to save money from buying a new one, or can't afford to upgrade, then compatiblity could be a good thing, right? New chip may not perform to full specs, but one would think it would be better then the older tech processor.

tomstar

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Then PII it is. Maybe I'll wait for AM3 and AM3 processors because I've heard you need an older CPU incase you want to update your BIOS if you want to install your PII

tomstar

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I've put together 2 systems. I have uploaded some pics but they are in dutch though. But I don't think it's a big problem since a Phenom II in english remains nothing more but a Phenom II in dutch.

The Phenom build costs 782 euro's and the Core 2 Quad costs 792 euro's. These prices include everything to build a system from scratch including a videocard.

Because both systems cost the same the price difference is not an issue anymore which gives the C2Q build an advantage over the Phenom.

The Phenom build:
http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=phenombuildvganw1.png

The Core 2 Quad build:
http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=core2quadbuildpo8.png

The phenom build isn't that much cheaper because the mobo costs 119 euro's because I want the 790X chipset with a 750 SB. Alternate.be only offers 1 decent SB750 / 790 mobo and that's the Asus Asus M3A78-T. It includes an integrated graphics chipset though, but that can be turned off.

There are a few things that bother me:

The fact that I need an older processor to update the BIOS and run the PII. And the fact that it is an older, somewhat unpopular motherboard.

I know for a fact that the Q9550 will run perfect on the p5q as it is one of the most popular boards with a P45 chipset.

One more thing,

I've kinda dropped the future proof thing because I realised that if I would upgrade, I could keep the case, hard drive, PSU and maybe even RAM which would make the upgrade pretty cheap compared to a total system build. The 775 socket remains a dead socket to me though, but if the Q9550 performs better in most of the reviews I've seen (and think are BIASED) I should go with the 9550 anyway?

I wont be overclocking no matter how easy some people say it is. I just don't care, I lose my waranty (I think?) and even ifI don't, I just don't want to risk it. However, IF I would go with the 940 I will increase the multi because this is realy, too easy.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Some people can't afford new motherboards - like me. Seriously, most people should realizes that its almost pointless to buy a new motherboard of the same socket.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Tom,

If you can not go with the M3 79T deluxe with the 750 SB I am not sure if I would go with the Phenom II. Either choice you will be happy with, 775 socket Q9550 or the Phenom II. I am not saying there is any thing wrong with the 78-t board, but I really like the 79-T deluxe model. Very nice mother board.

Amdfangirl,

For me it was not pointless to upgrade my board on the same socket. I made a mistake going with the Jetway HA04 extreme, because it had the 600 SB, If I didn't want to over clock, wouldn't of been a big deal, but since I did want to OC, it was not a very good chipset to OC on. I got the 9850be to 2.9ghz, some what stable, but every now and again it would blue screen out on me. The Bios update process with the Jetway sucked!! Asus boards are so much better to update the bios with, very simple. Jetway required me to have a floppy drive, and the bios update took three tries to get it to take. So when I upgraded to the Asus 79-T deluxe, it was a much better board in the same socket style.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

dont get me wrong. it isnt a bad thing but it can be self-inflicted pain. if you are still using a eek in the door board, you may already be on the outside looking in as far as new tech on the motherboard. it really makes me think of the fact you can still get a 3850 card for AGP. very nice gesture but chances are you wasted money because the limitations of the old arch diminish the return on your investment. could have bought a 2600 and been just as well off with money left to buy a couple games.

tomstar

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I have to do a BIOS update for the PII, probably. Might go with the Q9650 as well since I found a local shop that sells it for 320 euro's. It's still alot but I think and it's a very good price for a 3.0GHz quad core. Still not sure though.

I know Q9650 owns the PII but it's also 1.5x times more expensive. And still, the 9650 isn't that much faster then the 9550.

tomstar

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Is the Q9650 worth the extra money over the Q9550. They seem pretty close in every benchmark I've seen but I'm not sure. Q9550 costs me 279 euro's and the Q9650 costs me 329 euro's.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I do not believe it would be, but thats just IMO. If the Q9550 is fast, plays games smooth, then the extra 5%-15% performance gain, you have to ask yourself is it worth the extra dollars?? I don' believe it would be.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
If you want to overclock yes its worth it. The Q9650 has a 9x multi, which means youll need a lower FSB on the board to get the OCs you want. Alot of the ASUS P45's have trouble getting quads over 445FSB.

tomstar

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Online retailer will offer me a BIOS update for 13 euro's which I think is fine for installing everything, updating BIOS and then putting everything back into the boxes...

I've been running trough the reviews over and over again but they allways say the 940 is a competitor for the Q9400 but now that the prices are updated it is very hard to find a review that compares the PII 940 with the Q9550.

Another question...

Do I need 800 Mhz or 1066 Mhz memory if I go with either of these CPU's?

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Faster the better for overclocking.. If your going to overclock that is..

jasobnd

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
if u buy AMD research about their spider platform I.E get the highest memory if u want to overclock and the latest ASUS mobo M3a79 t i think it is!

also think about waiting a little longer AMD will be releasing an AM3 phenom x4 BE in the future which will prob reach about 4Ghz (i read review on X3 which reached 3.8Ghz)

i think Intel are naff allways changing sockets and compatabole parts u generally end up buy a new rig just to get their new cpu's. and the costs aswell. amd cheap cheap cheap for not that much of a power loss.

AMD phenom 2 with 4Gb of highest ddr2 ram and an xfire 4870 gpu will play any game u throw at it. the extra 400 u spend on intel rig will buy you extra 10 fps lets all have a wank....or not!!

AMD all the way.

plus wait until after western recession and see whos on top overpriced intel or cheap AMD

mipeder

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009

In April this year AMD will be shipping the Phenom II 945 3.0 GHz 45nm AM3 CPU.

mipeder

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009

The AM3 CPUs can run on AM2+ boards, but AM3 boards for DDR3 memory are available too.

beeyang78

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Just go with the cheapest build and get yourself an ATI 4000 series card and you the stream processors to do the video conversions. It will save you a lot of time and the conversion tool is pretty easy to use.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008

AND THAT BRINGS US TO OUR POINT TODAY, "dont smoke crack", :lol:

Ken168

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
lol @lashton
--------------------------------------------------

@tom

sorry, can't remember if I have mentioned on your thread previously.
I am using Gigabyte mobo DS4H serie. It can let you flash bios in window mode. I have never flash bios in my life, but i did it first time with the bios utility from gigabyte --> @bios (the name of the program). It was cake, too easy!

Fyi, the cpu work pre-flash (I used it for like a week before getting the bios that support PII). It just had no name for my cpu. But once flashed, it recognise the cpu as PII. That is the only different between the old bios vs new bios in term of cpu support.

I think with the release of AM3 cpus and all the reviews, it is confirmed that my previous advice is a sensible one. (work right now, fast, cheaper and upgradeable).

cheers

najongjine

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
many people think am2 board will support am3, and am3 future cpu is better than PII 940.
In AMD's upcoming cpu line up, Triple core(cheap version) 2.6~2.8 will come up first, and then quad core 945 will come out.
945 will be AM3 but problem is it gonna be same as PII 940.
It means it just convert to AM3 compatible CPU.

and 955,965+ will come out in end of 2009.

today is 2/11/09, AM3 CPU still didn't come out, and no AMD DDR3 board yet.
But in intel 775 socket, even it's dead end, there's DDR3 board, and it has better performance.
you know y?
cuz AMD is having problem on the DDR3 compatible.

AMD will have full list of AM3 CPU in end of 2009, but intel will release new main-stream CPUs in 2010.

if u wait more and more, u will never get new CPU until u die.

Here's my conclusion.

*If u alrdy have AM2+ compatible motherboard, go for PII 940
*if u r buying new motherboard+CPU+RAM, go for intel q9550 with DDR3 support motherboard.