Phenom II 940 - Core 2 Quad Q9550

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Do you mean as in Intel moving to another socket for high-end? According to articles on DailyTech and Anands, Intel has announced the 6-core Gulftown (32nm Westmere) for LGA-1366 next summer. So I would expect the socket to still be around then.

I believe the DO stepping for the i920 will be out shortly, however I would give it a few months to let the older C0 steppings clear out of the market. Most mailorder places won't guarantee a particular version of a CPU since they don't want to get stuck with older stock. If you want one in the next month or so, best bet is to buy at a local shop where you can inspect the processor and decode the imprinted information.

I believe Intel won't EOL the Yorkies until 2011, so the 775 socket has a couple years left yet :).

A mild (10 - 20%) overclock is pretty easy to do, once you've got a good, stable build with reasonable temps at stock. There are some excellent guides here on Tom's you might take a look at. Just skip over the extreme stuff. As long as you don't have to run the core voltage too high (which has more effect on high temps than clock frequency), the CPU will last longer than its usefulness, most likely. High core voltages can also cause electromigration, which is not good.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I think Intel will keep them for a while yet. They are quite cheap to make (well the duals at least...) as they have a minute die size.

I saw a report where Intel expects Nehalem to be only 2-3% of sales for 2009, so yes they're likely to keep the Yorkies around for a while :). The quads are fairly cheap to make too since they are MCM - aka "doublecheesburgers" :)

theramman

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
And like all electronics when it starts going down it will amke the 775 sockets cheaper, granted the new will be better but really HOW much better? worth 200 more?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

In recession you gotta love a small die!

brisingamen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
man the 940 should be a no brainer,
940 PROS
ddr2/ddr3
unlocked multiplier :p
fast at stock settings.
great overclocker = low temps
cost effective for ultra high end systems or intermediate systems.
=greatest chip released in a dogs age.
Phenom 940 cons = NONE
i920 PROS
its fast, and new and has mad hype. uses ddr3, it feels cool buying intels latest
CONS
is poop at stock settings "Must be overclocked to perform"
gets crazy hot when overclocked, 85celcius vs 60 celcius = 940. high cost

that other chip, dead end upgrade path, and no better than either the i920 or 940

brisingamen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
oh yeah why does no one mention ddr2 1200 with 5-5-5-15 timings, ill put a 940 with that against any speed ddr3,

oh and when ddr3 matures even more yeah the 940 will rock that no prob too.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I think the real threat is the fact we've reliased a speed bump doesn't go as far anymore.I've tried my sisters' PhII 940 5Ghz build, but I still prefer my computer... PhII isn't that much faster, its overhyped along with all the stuff new in the market.

Falcon21

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Only for the sake of future proofing, you are gonna end up with a configuration like:-

mobo - AM3
Proc - 940
MEM - ddr 3

Above, configuration doesn't make any sense as you'll not be getting performance.

I'd say, instead get a steel processor and a reasonable mobo with some
extra memory which along with a good GPU(4870/4890) will give you performance at all times. I think you should go for something like:-

Mobo - AM2+ (Biostar has broken the OC record on 720 so far if you know)
Proc - 940 Black Edition
MEM - DDR2 1066Mhz about 4 to 8 GBs
GPU - 4870 or 4890 Preferably latter
PSU - 700 - 750 would be enough if you're (not) gonna crossfire.

and do yourself a favor, get a NZXT Zero cabinet that will enable you to
install 10 HDDs

However if your aim is future proofing, wait a while and pick up:-

Mobo - AM3
Proc - 955
MEM - DDR3

but try to get the best GPU you can as that will deliver gaming performance more than anything else.
And if you want a suggestion, get a 4870 for now as its cheaper.
Later when AMD launches 5xxx series, get a better one.

_orbital_

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

excellent answer...
really is.. i was searching for buying my cpu.. and guess what i end up with?

P II 940 BE running at 3.3 Ghz.. on stock
6 gb ram.. running at 880 mhz
biostar board..
happy with it all..playing gta 4 at max as i can.. my 4870 pushing it really good

Latest posts