Phenom II 940 roaring like a monster

aerothorn

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
So, I just finished my first system build, and everything seems to have worked out okay, with one exception - my AMD Phenom II 940 (with stock fan/cooler) is incredibly loud, in an obnoxious whirring sort of fashion. I've looked this up and apparently this is abnormal.

As I was writing this post, the fan/cooler started whirring extremely high (after the computer running for about five minutes) and sounded as if it was going to explode. I quickly reached for the power switch and shut it off, so I don't think any damage has been done (though we'll see!). Any ideas what could be causing all this?

Solution
Make sure that the heatsink is properly seated and that it also has the appropriate amount of thermal paste. If the heatsink is not seated...

snarfies

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009

If the fan is making a horrible high-pitched squealing noise (I've had a fan make that noise, and it is horrible and headache-inducing), then, like, replace the fan. While you're at it, replace the entire cooler - I'm sure the stock cooler is just about the least-optimal choice you can make. Look into something by Scythe.

Make sure that the heatsink is properly seated and that it also has the appropriate amount of thermal paste. If the heatsink is not seated properly it will cause cpu temps to rise and in turn cause the fan to spin faster to compensate. You might want to check out an aftermarket cooler like the Xigmatek HDT-S1283, Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer, or the Thermalright Ultra 120.

C'mon...fanboy criticism does not address the OP's issue...

Solution

aerothorn

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Yeah, it's likely I didn't seat it properly. The thermal paste was pre-applied, and no extra was included - meaning I can't really remove it as I have nothing to re-apply. So I suppose I will buy an aftermarket cooler (will look into the ones you recommended). Thanks for the advice! Do most of them come with thermal paste, or do I have to buy that separately?

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
aerothorn, most come with thermal paste, but it's probably better if you devote some cash into tried-and-true products rather than lowering your heatsinks heat-conducting potential.

Tuniq's TX-2 and AS5 (Artic Silver 5) are popular products.

aerothorn

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Understood. One of the coolers chunkymonster recommended, the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer, comes with TX-2 paste, runs very quiet, and has a $10 rebate at Newegg, so I think I'm gonna go for that. There are probably more powerful coolers on the market, but I'm running a pretty cool machine already (no overclocking, one graphics card, super-ventilated case), so this should suit my purposes fine.

Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Yeah, you may not have put the cooler on right so your motherboard is freaking out and trying to cool the CPU before it ends up a burnt mass of Silicon. That or your fan bearings died. I'd say use some artic thermal silver 5 for the thermal paste. Just in case buy some zoom oil. If you get the squeeling noise then take off the fan, remove the sticker covering the ball bearing, and put a drop of zoom oil in there. make sure you cover it right so oil doesn't go flying everywhere. It's not ideal, but it will shut the thing up till you can go onto new egg and order a good after market cooler :D.

logainofhades

Titan
Check your temps. I had such an issue with a build awhile back and for some reason the bios was reading a different temp than any software I used to check it. The bios had a fan setting for automatic fan control and I adjusted the temp for when it kicked in full blast.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
I do find it Amazing that Intel and AMD's stock HSF ( although Intel are a bit better ) don't put a better HSF in.

Im sure that most people would pay more for the processor with a better solution than for one to be clogged up with dust and dirt.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I use a Noctua NH-U12P cooler for my PII 940 (temps are below 55c under load). It's a little expensive, but I can't hear it over my video card. (also it comes with good paste, better than AS5)

logainofhades

Titan

Actually AMD has had a better stock fan for quite some time. The heatpipe cooler they used starting with the dual core opterons are as good as some of the inexpensive aftermarket coolers. Intel heatsinks are horrible. My Intel rig used an aftermarket one right from the start.

I have no complaints with AMD stock heatsinks. I think they are actually quite good. The last 2 I have had are really nice coolers with heatpipes, a lot of fin area, and they are quiet. And lets talk about the latching mechanism. Holy cow mother of priest Intel could learn a thing or two from AMD in this area.
If you put the thing on correctly, it will cool just fine even for moderate overclocks.
Before you go spending money needlessly, just pick up a tube of decent thermal compound, doesn't cost much, remove, clean reapply your heatsink taking care to do it correctly this time.

snarfies

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009

My last AMD board was a socket 939, so maybe some things have changed - but based on pictures, I don't think they have. Getting the heatsink onto the CPU is easy, and there's no worries about it coming loose. The problem is that getting the heatsink off again is nearly impossible! Last time I tried I wound up yanking the entire CPU out of the socket (no damage, fortunately), because the thermal paste has the two gummed together, and the plastic border prevents you from twisting the heatsink to separate the two.

When I went to a 775 board with my current setup I went out of my way to get something with a backplate - more of a pain to install for sure, but if the time ever comes I am sure I will have little trouble removing it.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Ok I admit, i havent seen the new "Phenom" standard HSF's but i wasnt impressed with 939 and 940's earlier offerings !

I just want someone to include something like artic coolings efforts. Theyre cheap considering what they do.

logainofhades

Titan
The heatpipe cooler has changed little since the S939 dual core opteron days really. The standard aluminum ones I agree are not that great but the new ones seem better than the old ones. You would think they would put better heatsinks with the triple and dual core PH II BE's though. Only the quad gets the heatpipe one. I took mine and put it on an old S939 X2 I had lying around that i keep meaning on putting back together and giving to a family member.

On my Q6700 system, the loudest noises are, in increasing order: (1) the 8800GTX fan, (2) the buzzy little NB fan on my 680i mobo, and (3) me after dozing off, according to my wife :).

Never did use the stock cooler that Intel boxed with the CPU, but a Zalman 9700 instead.