viper200

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Hey Guys
So The Question is a
Phenom II X4 QuadCore 955 3.2 8mb cache Boxed Socket AM3 - 125w - Black Edition
or
Phenom II X4 QuadCore 965 3.4

to wait and get the 965 for 200mhz increase or go now and get a 955 and oc the baby ! what do u think? :eek:

sailer

Splendid

If buying now, I'd get the 955 BE and overclock. If you can wait, then the 975 looks like a good option, as JDJ said. Even then, only some reviews will tell for sure if the 975 overclocks as well as a 955 BE. Its only a few weeks, so unless you're in a hurry, I'd wait it out.

The difference in Mhz is not worth the wait(975) or the extra money(965) IMO. You should be able to overclock the 955 to at least 4.2Ghz on Air @ around 1.475v (depending on mobo)...

how say OvrClkr, the 955 is really good in overclok, I have 1 to 3.8GHz with out problems....but the 975 maybe is a best, but you gone think in the price....this processor could be really expensive, like the 955 when arrive to the markets....I buy the 955 2 weeks after that arrive to newegg and import to colombia....for 350 US or more....think in the price....

If you buy the 945 you are better off using the stock cooler since it is not considered a high overclocker anyways....

IMO the 945 is junk.... You are better off paying 20.00$ more for a chip that is 200Mhz faster and its a BE.....Only AM3 chips worth buying ATM are the 550 and the 955.. and of course the 965 when it comes out......

Yeah.

Junk.

Gotcha.

Well, let me re-phrase that... They are not junk...ok... i take that back but as far as price to performance goes the AM3 chips that are not BE's are just a waste of money unless you need them for server purposes at stock speeds (low TDP).... But if you are into games, movie creation, decode, cinibench, etc.. and you want your moneys worth it is recommended that you stay away from those chips....

I call them "NooBy-ChiPs" :pfff:

Exactly 3.6Ghz.....

I never said they didn't overclock.... They are "poor" overclockers compared to the BE's that cost pennies more....

I'm just comparing price to performance..... [:jaydeejohn:5]

Btw, soon the 955 should break the world record at over 7GHZ(Quad) on Nitro & Helium.... [:lectrocrew:5]

-----------------------

Ok, is your chooise...but what processor you have in mind for buy? When you buy them, tell me if change my 955 for a 965 or 975 is good option.....

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I'm waiting to buy. Of course, that's cause I am waiting for my extra paycheck to be able to afford the new system :D

I was really hoping to get a 550BE and a mobo that unlocks it. Anyone know hear/read about what mobos haven't been BIOS updated yet to prevent that? I don't know a lot of great places to get articles like that.

I just read Toms, cause I can usually get the good scoops here from you folks :)