Status
Not open for further replies.

deftones4433

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Hi, I bought a motherboard and cpu combo from tigerdirect a year ago and have been buying parts slowly to build it. The problem is the motherboard I received says on tigerdirect it can support 140w processors, but on the motherboard website, it says 125w supported.
I have a biostar ta790gxe motherboard. The processor is a phenom II 965BE (140w).
I had not realized it was conflicting power consumptions until I put the system together and tried firing it, when it seems like the motherboard is fried. My question is..can I run this setup and the motherboard happen to be fried from the factory? Or did I fry it?

Solution
125W or 140W motherboard spec should not make any difference. While your CPU is not on the list of supported according to Biostar website it does not mean that it will not work.

But it doesn't mean it will work, email Foxconn for confirmation.

965BE is 125W CPU. It will be rated @ 140W, if you try overclocking and changing voltages. Not sure exactly what you need to do, but mine was showing up as 125W at first and now it's @ 140W in hardware monitor.

Its not just overclocking the cpu will draw its rated 140w when all 4 cores are loaded at stock.
The 125w you talk about will be its idle draw.

I have BIOSTAR TForce TF8200, which does not have anything above 940 as supported models. After BIOS update CPU was recognized...

deftones4433

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
The motherboard is the ta790gxe. So it says 125w. When I hook up the cpu and fan, and psu which is a ocz proxstream 700 watt, everything turns on, but does not post. I have a case speaker, which it makes no noise with no memory in. The four phase leds all turn on, but the led1 and led2 lights on the board are both off, which says abnormal or a cpu problem.
So I believe the motherboard was toast from the factory, and am sending it back.

The real question is if i get the motherboard back in good condition can I run this setup? I called tigerdirect and they will not do anything about it even though the combo package they sent me does not go together because the motherboard does not officially support the 140w cpu.

Am I wrong in thinking that as long as I'm not loading the cpus to full load the 140w cpu will run in the board i have?

acer0169

Distinguished
I would try a BIOS update as bean suggested.

Not really sure what happens if you try a 140W CPU in a 125W board.. Though I do know that my old motherboard *officially* only accepted 95W CPU's and didn't have any issues running an overclocked 120W CPU. That being said, not all motherboards will be the same on this.

I would imagine the problems you are getting are down to the cpu being 140w, the mobo is probably fine.

My 1st stop would be Tiger Direct if they are selling this as a package it is their responsibility to sort out.

If on the other hand you chose the setup then you either need to get a replacemnet mobo to run your cpu or a replacement cpu to run in your board.

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008

125W or 140W motherboard spec should not make any difference. While your CPU is not on the list of supported according to Biostar website it does not mean that it will not work.
965BE is 125W CPU. It will be rated @ 140W, if you try overclocking and changing voltages. Not sure exactly what you need to do, but mine was showing up as 125W at first and now it's @ 140W in hardware monitor.
I have BIOSTAR TForce TF8200, which does not have anything above 940 as supported models. After BIOS update CPU was recognized without problems.
You either have bad motherboard or CPU, motherboard with old BIOS. Can you try booting PC with different CPU?

This may help you, my brothers mobo only supports up to 95W CPUs he got an athlon 440 95W processor which is fine he then unlocked it to 4 cores and unlocked L3 cache making it a 4 core phenom C2 version = 140W, it ran fine but the motherboard temps where high and it would not overclock at all. He locked it back to 3 cores but kept the cache and it overclocked to 3.6GHz fine.

But it doesn't mean it will work, email Foxconn for confirmation.

Its not just overclocking the cpu will draw its rated 140w when all 4 cores are loaded at stock.
The 125w you talk about will be its idle draw.

I have BIOSTAR TForce TF8200, which does not have anything above 940 as supported models. After BIOS update CPU was recognized without problems.

Did your bios specify that the update was to support a newer range of cpu's?
The OP will also struggle to update the bios as the PC won't boot.

You either have bad motherboard or CPU, motherboard with old BIOS. Can you try booting PC with different CPU?

I don't think you can say that for sure, there may be a compatibility issue as the cpu isn't on the support list. If you have access to another cpu then that would be a good idea, at least you will know your mobo is ok and it will enable you to update your bios to try the 140w again.

I'd start by emailing Foxconn and ask them about running a 140w cpu in the board you have.

Solution

deftones4433

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Thanks for all the replies guys, when I talked to biostar they seem to think the board is bad simply because it will not even post. I would try a cpu that I know works but I do not have a spare lying around unfortunately. Once I get the board back from Biostar I will try the setup again, and if it does not work I will have to get them both tested.

Unfortunately if the motherboard doesnt' work it's kinda hard to find a decent motherboard that takes 140w processors and ddr2 memory.

And as for tigerdirect, I told them they sold me and advertised a package that includes a motherboard that does not support 140w processors, but since it was a year ago they will not do anything. I realize I should have built it awhile ago but simply could not afford to but the rest of the parts until now, so unfortunately I'm screwed out of either a processor or motherboard. Whatcha gonna do?

Status
Not open for further replies.