Phenom II 965BE Running over 55C while browsing

Moniushko

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
It's the beginning of the hot season where I live (over 90F or 32C), and I live in a house with no air conditioning. I understand my CPU is going to start running hotter, but I think it's running a bit too hot. Right now it's running at about 55C with Firefox open. I'm afraid to get on BF4 because it goes over 70C (at which point my PC shuts off). I don't understand why my CPU is running so hot. I have a Hyper 212 hooked up to my CPU, which should have lowered my temps significantly (which it didn't since I bought it).

Here are my temps. My CPU is overclocked to 3.8GHz and has a voltage of 1.475v.
ORQKLjQ.jpg

I will appreciate any help!

try reseating the CPU cooler. I have a 965 @4.073 with 1.41v and idle at 34°c, 38°c browsing and 45°c gaming. most likely your CPU cooler needs to be reseated with fresh thermal paste.

also make sure it is clean and fan is spinning properly.

apparently with such hot enviroment and ambient temps and 1,475v 212 evo struggles.! use manual fan profile for higher fan spin or even install an additional one for push and pull config for maximum performance. ultimatly you must have very good tower ventilation and very high airflow.!silent pc overation cant be an option under such extreme conditions! if still no luck then you might even have to compromize with lower cpu voltages!

1.475v is way high for 3.8 GHz speed for a 965be. You should be able to hit that with around 1.4v. My 965 can hit that frequency with 1.35v But I have a really good chip this is why I said you should be able to hit 3.8 on 1.4v. The stock cooler for the 965 is just enough to handle 3.8 GHz with a High air flow case.

You need more air flow through the case and you need to lower the core voltage. Make sure you have the fan installed correctly on the cooler. The fan should be mounted on the front of the cooler with the air pushing through the cooler towards the back of the case. I have a Hyper 212 evo on my 965 with 1.41v @ 4.073 GHz and max out at 64°c during a Intel Burn Test run with maximum stress with 8 GB of ram and for 40 runs. The difference is I have a high airflow case.

As for the suggestion of adding another fan to the CPU cooler, there is very little difference in temps when you add a second fan to the Hyper 212 + and evo. There is a difference of 2°c when this is done. Toms here has done bench tests on this fact and I personally have tried with the same effect. The only thing that makes this cooler more efficient at cooling is adding a higher static pressure fan with more CFM's. This has been proven to cool the CPU better with a Hyper 212 evo. I have a Hyper 212 evo on my 965 with 1.41v @ 4.073 GHz and max out at 64°c during a Intel Burn Test run with maximum stress with 8 GB of ram and for 40 runs. The difference is I have a high airflow case.

Make sure all your wires are tucked out of the way and keep as much of them as you can in the back panel of the case. This helps air to flow through the case and feed the components with fresh air. Here is an example of what I mean on wiring. This is my secondary PC

What case do you have?

Moniushko

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

This is my case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156241
Came with 5 fans. Two blowing air in at the front, two blowing air out the top, and one blowing air out the back.

Also, I've tried lower voltages and none of them seem to be stable. I get frequent BSODs at lower voltages. 1.475 seemed to be the most stable so I haven't bothered to change it anymore.

Moniushko

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

I used a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol to clean off the thermal paste. After removing the paste I use the pea method to apply. I've actually tried both methods but saw no difference in average temperature.