Phenom II X2 555 Vs. Pentium G6950: New Budget Dual-Core Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

obarthelemy

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I see a bunch of overclocking articles... do you have any clue about how many of your readers overclock ? and how many of the public at large ?

My guess from personal anecdote would be 10% and 0.01 % resp ?

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]obarthelemy[/nom]I see a bunch of overclocking articles... do you have any clue about how many of your readers overclock ? and how many of the public at large ?My guess from personal anecdote would be 10% and 0.01 % resp ?[/citation]
It's pretty much a free way to get better performance, so I'm glad they have so many articles about it.

volks1470

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I'd say a decent majority do overclock, and this site isn't exactly for the general public. Not very people get what's going on here on Tom's.

POLL!!

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
[citation][nom]obarthelemy[/nom]I see a bunch of overclocking articles... do you have any clue about how many of your readers overclock ? and how many of the public at large ?My guess from personal anecdote would be 10% and 0.01 % resp ?[/citation]

More like 50% and 5%, I think.

terr281

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Most people, at least those who build systems for themselves, friends, and clients (who would read this article), probably overclock their cpu... even if it is only a very modest overclock on the included retail cooler. (Or, higher on an aftermarket one.)

As such, I must agree that it is a good thing that AMD seems to still have a market. (As such, we won't find Intel being the only player in the CPU market... at least for the next year anyway.)

With luck, AMD's shift to completely new chips will allow the company to keep a competitive presence in the low-end and mainstream market.

fatkid35

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
i enjoy seeing a win here for amd. makes me happy. two wins actually.$100 dollar dual cores @ stock for stock it wins, due to it has higher stock clocks. secondly it survived the abuse put to it. even if the intel chip will clock higher, it failed. thats hard to forget. "its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog."

Schip

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Is it just me, or is there something weird on the "Benchmark Results: Synthetics" page. The table titled, "PCMark Vantage Hard Drive Test Score" shows the stock 555 performing better than the 555 when overclocked, which contradicts intuition and the paragraph that follows the table. Not a big deal, just thought I should point it out. Peace!

envolva

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I think Tom's Hardware should focus on overclock for daily use. I would never go over 1.4V with a brand new processor, and I guess those who do wouldn't do it for daily use.

So I would really like to see some limitations applied when comparing the value of each processor. Some limitations would apply like max voltages, max temps, power saving on. Disabling custom features like Intel's turbo boost or hyper threading would be fair game if it made the overclocking easier/safer.

I appreciate the fact that you push the chip to the limit so the reader don't have to, but in the end the overclock results aren't really useful without guesswork of how much the performance would decrease when you apply daily use limitations. Can a Pentium G6950 keep 4.2GHz at 1.4V? Can the Phenom II 555 reach 3.8GHz at 1.4V?

Personally I wouldn't go over 1.35V with my i7 920, but I understand each fabricant, and each processor have its own limits. I'm not aware of the AMD processor stock or max voltage, but in this case I'm guessing 1.4V is a fair number to impose as limit with these two competitors.

DarkMantle

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
On "Test Systems And Benchmarks" it says "Mushkin PC3-10700
3 x 2,048MB, DDR3-1333, CL". Was this a mistake when writting the article or did you really tested 3 dual channel processors with 3 memory sticks?.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Clarksdale is a big compromise, and I don't know why anyone would buy the Pentium without using the GPU. That's kind of the point.

If not, you go to the faster Core 2 based Pentium. It's cheaper, runs faster, and isn't lobotomized like LGA1156 processor. At least with the Lynnfield you get the faster memory controller, but with the Clarksdale, you get abysmal memory performance and all the bad compromises of the Lynnfield, without the main benefit. Who'd want this except budget buyers who want to use the GPU?

The Pentium G6950 is a real bomb. It's a horrible, brain-damaged processor that will be sold to the masses, because it can make for a cheap platform suitable for surfing. But when you quantify the performance, it's going to suck, bad. Better off with the older Pentiums, or an AMD product.

Also, I'd be really curious about the Athlon X2s. The Athlon X4 is just an inferior Phenom at a lower price, but the Athlon X2 has the much larger L2 cache, which could make it a very interesting product - especially considering the price. It should also use slightly less power, saving even more money.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
What's with the weird L1 cache sizes anyway? The Athlon still uses 128K, 3 cycle L1 cache. And for the G6950, why do you have it 4 x 32K, and the Phenom II 2 x 128K? If you want to call the L1 cache seperate data and instruction, at least do it consistently, instead of making it confusing by applying it to the Pentium, but not to the Phenom.

It's also worth noting in the thermal limits that the Pentium G6950 includes a lot more than the AMD product, including the PCI-E controller and GPU. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

carlhenry

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]What's with the weird L1 cache sizes anyway? The Athlon still uses 128K, 3 cycle L1 cache. And for the G6950, why do you have it 4 x 32K, and the Phenom II 2 x 128K? If you want to call the L1 cache seperate data and instruction, at least do it consistently, instead of making it confusing by applying it to the Pentium, but not to the Phenom. It's also worth noting in the thermal limits that the Pentium G6950 includes a lot more than the AMD product, including the PCI-E controller and GPU. It's not an apples to apples comparison.[/citation]

its apples to apples because they compared on the given price point, not on the feature set. it'd be apples to pineapples if you compared a 100$ cpu vs a 200$ cpu eh?

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]It's pretty much a free way to get better performance, so I'm glad they have so many articles about it.[/citation]
Well, obviously from this article itself, I wouldn't exactly use the term "FREE" since you would have just purchased a processor and fried it.

Would be better to use the term gambling since nothing is guranteed.

I think the main error with this article is attempting to overclock what is almost a SoC: as far as I know, the CPU, RAM controller and GPU are all clocked relatively to the main bus' frequency. Now, the CPU core and RAM controller may have been designed to bear much higher clock speeds than what the finished product is sold at, but the GPU sure isn't. I would venture a guess and say that what probably happened is that the CPU handled the overclock very well - but the GPU fried up, short-circuited and forced the mobo off.

As far as I know, reference speed for the GPU on this chip is 733 MHz, and the GPU itself is designed for a 900 MHz (maybe 1 GHz) speed at stock voltage. I would thus recommend against any overvolt in the next OC attempt.

Yup, SoC suck at O/C.

G

I overclock everything that I can get my hands on, hell I even tried boosting the old 300mhc celeron rig I have but the BIOS are locked and same goes for my old P4 rig, but at least my 7600gs will do 540mhz core 360mhz memory =))

magilxxl

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
This is the first time in a long while that i read about a fried cpu. Why is it even possible? We didnt use to have this risc with the core 2 family of cpu's. After seeing this i wouldnt recommand OCing this cpu beyond 3.5ghz, it will simply wear out after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.