Question Phenom II X4 840 with RX 580 8GB

Dec 18, 2019
Hey so I have a fairly crappy motherboard, it's a gigabyte 880gm rev 1.4. The best CPU it allows is a Phenom II X6 1100T But I currently have a Phenom II X4 840. I am using a r7 370 4GB GPU to game and lets say on, rust. I get average 30 frames high 40 low 25 with occasional frame drops that go to 0 and 1. I run the game at low settings pretty much. Would be upgrading my graphics card to a RX 580 8GB have a better framerate performance until I can get a new motherboard and cpu? I know it may bottleneck but I am pretty sure as long as I don't try to go gung ho on the graphics it should give me a pretty decent frame boost correct? Thanks guys!

Dec 18, 2019
I would just buy a ryzen with a mobo, since an rx 580 with a phenom is like a gtx 1070 with a pentium.
Well I plan on upgrading my mobo but I just dropped around 500 on christmas gifts so there is no way I can spend 100+ on a mobo with a cpu. I'm just simply asking if it would help my frames to game temporarily until then :)

If you are getting low frame rates even at lowest game settings then you are CPU limited.
Rust's minimum game specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 / AMD FX-9590 or better.

Your CPU is a lot weaker that the game's minimum CPU requirement.

You will not benefit from only upgrading your GPU.
Either get a Ryzen system now or wait until Ryzen 4000 for prices to drop if you cannot afford a new Ryzen now.

Reactions: acidpoptart
Dec 18, 2019
If you are getting low frame rates even at lowest game settings then you are CPU limited.
Rust's minimum game specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 / AMD FX-9590 or better.
Okay what about other games? I run csgo at 90 frames on my current build, what about lets say Witcher 3? Which is heavily GPU if I am right.

Dec 18, 2019
Thanks for your guys help though! I already bought the GPU so there is no going back but itll be nice to have it reserved for my upgrade until then imma just use it on my CPU :) I'll update tomorrow on how well it runs on my build for anyone that is sort of in my same position!

Dec 18, 2019
UPDATE: I got the GPU today, plugged it in, PC decided not to start. It may be because I have only 1 8 pin and it was sourced directly into my PSU but it didn't slide into the GPU all the way which was weird. Took everything apart, rewired everything back together. started with no GPU and PC would turn on. Plugged GPU back in tried to start, nothing. I have a 620W PSU. May it be because the 8 pin isnt sliding in completely? And the grand finale. This will hurt a lot of people I am sorry but I am a noob at pc building... Last resort, I started the PC with the GPU already in but not the power cable plugged into it... And I plugged the power cable in and got a small spark from the 8pin and gpu 8pin entrance so i took it out quickly and turned off my pc. Is it completely fried now? If so I am going to return it but I hope that isn't the case. I can't tell though since I don't know anyone with a rig.

UPDATE: I got the GPU today, plugged it in, PC decided not to start. It may be because I have only 1 8 pin and it was sourced directly into my PSU but it didn't slide into the GPU all the way which was weird. Took everything apart, rewired everything back together. started with no GPU and PC would turn on. Plugged GPU back in tried to start, nothing. I have a 620W PSU. May it be because the 8 pin isnt sliding in completely? And the grand finale. This will hurt a lot of people I am sorry but I am a noob at pc building... Last resort, I started the PC with the GPU already in but not the power cable plugged into it... And I plugged the power cable in and got a small spark from the 8pin and gpu 8pin entrance so i took it out quickly and turned off my pc. Is it completely fried now? If so I am going to return it but I hope that isn't the case. I can't tell though since I don't know anyone with a rig.

Is it still working without the GPU?
Whats your PSU?

Im asking about the GPU specifically at the moment not my PC because it's running fine. the GPU however was what sparked. the 8 pin input slot to give it power sparked when i plugged my 8 pin into it.

The only way to tell is to try the GPU in another PC. You should have an old backup PC.
A spark highly indicates that the GPU is fried. My water cooling leaked on the GPU and it sparked the GPU which damaged it. I never used water cooling after that.