Phenom II x4 955 BE thermal problem

Jan 8, 2019
HI guys
I have a Acer dt-55 pc that had a Athlon 2 x2 260 it was bottlenecking my gt-1030
so i searched for supported cpus and found that the max was phenom 2 x4 965
and i bought a phenom 2 x4 955 BE
The problem is that the temps are too high and the cpu fan is not even trying to cool the cpu
it only speed up when the cpu reach 70 c and idon't know what to do
NOTE:the cpu fan header on the motherboard is 3 pin and the cpu fan is 4 pin so i can't control the speed of the fan.

Solution
The cooler fan? Heck yes you can run it full speed. That is its normal speed. Just like your window fan or hair dryer fan. Or your case fans when they are connected directly to the PSU. Slower is just for acoustic reasons. But there is apparently something wrong with the CPU if it idles at 60C. Or something wrong with the cooler. Or the speed control in BIOS.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you're still using the same cooler that the Athlon had, then that's the problem. The Athlon was a 65W (TDP) processor and the Phenom is a 125W (TDP) processor. It will generate twice the heat, and the coolers for those CPUs were not the same.

You need a 125W (or better) cooler. This was the stock cooler that came with the Phenom II X4 955BE.
If the current cooler's fan does indeed spin up after temps increase, then there must be some rudimentary 3-wire (DC) control present. The only problem with the stock 125W cooler is it gets very noisy at full RPM.

Is this your motherboard?

Jan 8, 2019

Thanks for the reply
Yes This is my motherboard and i am using the Phenom stock cooler not the
athlon stock cooler
and yes there is voltage control but i can't change anything in the bios
i fell like the system is still treating the cpu as athlon

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
What are the idle core temps and what are the load core temps? For load, run something like Intel Burn Test at its default values and watch the core temps with something like HWMonitor.
If the core temps hit 70C again, stop IBT.

Can you set the cooler fan to run full speed all the time in BIOS? Maybe disable auto or select 100%. Might be better to reset the BIOS to its defaults if all else fails. The problem with pre-built PCs' BIOSs is that they are dumbed down so users can't ruin anything.

Jan 8, 2019

I ran cinebench r15 2 or 3 times and the idle temperature is 60 c
under 100% load it never exceeds 70
and you are right about the bios there is nothing to change it only displays fan speed
i turned on an option to automatically shutdown the pc if temperatures are too high and it didn't do anything

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If the idle temp is 60C, something is wrong. It should idle 30C to 40C in normal ambient temp rooms. Mid 40Cs at most. Can you read the cooler fan RPM at idle in BIOS?
Did you reuse the old thermal paste when you changed CPU and cooler?

Jan 8, 2019

Yes i am using the stock cooler
and i reused the thermal paste i know it stupid but the problem was with the fan cure
but i planned not to use the pc until i clean the stock cooler and apply new thermal paste

and i will give you updates about it

and also i put a fan to blow directly on the VRMs

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Reusing the old thermal paste (TIM) is doable if it isn't dried out, and you spread it around on both surfaces to smooth out any air bubbles that may have formed. Use a baggie over your finger so you don't introduce body oils into the paste when you re-spread it.

Of course, fresh TIM is always better.

Jan 8, 2019

i applied a new thermal paste and it is still the same
i found an option called "smart fan" that turns off/on the voltage control of the fans and when i disabled it
the cpu fan jumped to the highest RPM around 3430 RPM all the time and when it's turned off the speed is around 1750 RPM
is it safe to for fans to always run at full speed?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It's perfectly safe. Just noisy as hell.

So your main problem is that the Ph II X4 955 is running normal temps at load, but way too high at idle? Weird.
I would expect with an idle temp of 60C, the load temp would be sky high. Unless the CPU is throttling and that is why the load temp is 70C.

Jan 8, 2019
\
i also tried rendering and it reached 76 c and
also tried playing some games and windows crashed with these temps. what is more annoying is
it's winter here and room temps around 16c
my question is
are you sure it's safe to run fans at 100%? cause i asked some people about it and they said it won't hold up more than an hour.
Thanks

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The cooler fan? Heck yes you can run it full speed. That is its normal speed. Just like your window fan or hair dryer fan. Or your case fans when they are connected directly to the PSU. Slower is just for acoustic reasons. But there is apparently something wrong with the CPU if it idles at 60C. Or something wrong with the cooler. Or the speed control in BIOS.

Solution
Jan 8, 2019

Thanks for your answers
Now fans at top speeds
and using headphones XD
BTW sorry another question
is the normal voltage of this cpu is 1.380 v? i think it's too high