Phenom II x4 965 BE, AsRock M3N78D - Overclocking Northbridge?

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Hullo lads.

Been looking at overclocking as of late, and happened upon a nugget of info which states that the Phenom II CPUs perform quite a bit bitter with an overclocked northbridge.

I can't find any concrete guides on doing this, however. It's either non-specific conjecture or general overclocking guides which do not focus on the north bridge.

Information on overclocking the north bridge would be greatly appreciated.

Also read that having heatsinks on the mosfets/VRMs (Or both? Terminologies :??: ) is ideal for overclocking the northbridge. I cannot find any specific examples of what these are, however. Plenty of people mention it, but I can't find (for example) a picture denoting the mosfets/VRMs. Mind pointing them out to me?

And if it's of any use, I've undervolted my CPU to 1.275V. It's completely stable and keeps it quite a bit cooler. Everything else is at stock.

Thanks in advance.

the northbridge is what communicates with the cpu, gpu, and ram etc so upping its speed will help in communications speeds and is required when overclocking a non BE phenom II as the fsb moves which moves the NB, u an up it but i think keep it under 2500 but i dont remember, mine sits at like 2300. the NB should just be a NB freq settings in the bios that u can change easy as that.

the VRM is the power delivery and voltage regulation module (VRM) - http://forums.tweaktown.com/members/rich-asus-albums-asus-f1a75-motherboard-pics-ask-questions-here-picture3640-asus-f1a75-v-pro-fm1-socket-digi-vrm.jpg - link is of the vrm it normally on mid to high end motherboards come with a heatsink, the vrm is under the blue heastink. It is normally surrounding the cpu socket but not always in the same spot. Putting heatsinks on these if they dont have them is normally recommeded when overclocking as stock they tend to get warm or hot.

With that motherboard the vrm isnt exactly in the best spot to add heatsinks there quite spaced apart, and beside that its a 4+1 power phase which is nor best for overclocking, so if u attempt to oc keep the voltages low as u have for stock clocks, and if u can add heatsinks to the vrms

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Ah well, I shouldn't expect much from a £40 motherboard :p

Aye, thanks for that. Just upped the frequency to 2400 and got a nice boost in Fallout NV and Skyrim. Much obliged to ye!

And tah for the extra information.