Phenom II x4 965 restarting when overclocked.

DGalacticMan

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
I have a Phenom II x4 965 Black which for no reason resterts when I'm playing CSGO, when overclocked to 4GHz voltage 1.49V. When at stock speed it freezes the game, so I have to start up task manager to end task (CSGO.exe). This is really annoying because if I'm in competitive I get a week cool down because my PC crashed. I thought it might be due to the CPU reaching high temps. @ 4GHz 58°C on idle and 78°C max 100% in Cinebench. So I added 2 120mm fans one as intake for cold air and one as out take on top of the case .But I still think there is no way the CPU reaches 100% in CSGO. Also all my drivers are up to date including the bios.

Specs:
Phenom II x4 965 black
Asus M4A77T/USB3
2*4GB DDR3 1333
Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 ( 5800 as the OS calls it, but it's box says 5850.)
RX-500XT 500w PSU.
240GB SSD
1TB HDD.

Solution
Well, if game freezes even when CPU is at stock frequency, then its not the overclock thats causing it. But just to be sure, dont overclock it while in process of troubleshooting the issue, it wont do you any good. Reset everything to stock. Download MSI afterburner, and use the RivaTuner program that comes with it to set up the CPU/GPU temperature overlay, so youz can monitor your CPU/GPU temperatures while gaming. I must agree that 1.5V is way to high for that chip. Max you should go is 1.4V.

Also, if you check here
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/329458-28-phenom-maximum-temperature
your max safe CPU temp is 62C. Its almost certain that you are getting lock ups and freezes bcs your CPU is overheating.

So, my suggestion, reset...

DGalacticMan

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Well it isn't. It's a 45nm CPU so it needs quit a bit of power. I mean I could probably lower by a tiny bit but too much let's say 1.46 and it become unstable. Up to 1.5 it's perfectly safe. I mean it minght not be as cool as it could but it's very stable.

Adec001

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
Well, if game freezes even when CPU is at stock frequency, then its not the overclock thats causing it. But just to be sure, dont overclock it while in process of troubleshooting the issue, it wont do you any good. Reset everything to stock. Download MSI afterburner, and use the RivaTuner program that comes with it to set up the CPU/GPU temperature overlay, so youz can monitor your CPU/GPU temperatures while gaming. I must agree that 1.5V is way to high for that chip. Max you should go is 1.4V.

Also, if you check here
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/329458-28-phenom-maximum-temperature
your max safe CPU temp is 62C. Its almost certain that you are getting lock ups and freezes bcs your CPU is overheating.

So, my suggestion, reset that Overclock, dont do it unless you have a good aftermarket cooler. Run the game on stock frequency and monitor you CPU temperatures with MSI afterburner (set up, so you can see it in the uper left corner while playing)
If your CPU is reaching 60+ degrees while underload and then restarting or freezing its definitely overheating problem.

Solution

DGalacticMan

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

Well you see. The issue started when it was at stock speed. It would freez sometimes not even allowing me to open taskmanager. So I used Jeremy Clarkson's logic and speed it up. That didn't help. As for the voltage by default when I put the CPU in the socket and fired it up the it said 1.4V stock. Maybe I should lower it. I will try lowering the frequency and the voltage.

Adec001

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
Before undervolting your CPU, download HW Monitor and check your temperatures on idle and under load. Post the results here. Then we can proceed with next suggestions.

DGalacticMan

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

I did. Stock speed 1.38V
Idle: 43°C
Max in cinebench: 59°C

But I also managed to get 63°C in CSGO at highest so I'm considering lower in the voltage even lower. Untill it's stable and cool. But it's much more stable than when it was @ 4GHz

Adec001

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017

Hhmm, those Idle temps are still kinda high. Not mentioning that under load they are pretty much max safe temp for your CPU. Wouldnt be suprrised if its start to throttle and decrase performance ingames.
What kind of CPU heatshink, cooler do you have. How many fans in case overall?

DGalacticMan

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

I have 2 120mm one on intake on on top that outputs the hot air. And on the CPU I have a heating with 2 heatpipes and 2 100mm fans

Adec001

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017

Seems you air flow in case is sufficient. Have you tried re-seating your CPU heatsink, cleaning dust in it, and replacing thermal paste?