Phenom II x4 B50 High temps!?!?

instantcoffee

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Sorry for making so many threads about this topic.... My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-MA720 us3

Currently I am running a Phenom II x2 550, I am able to unlock the 4cores i am using stock voltage.

according to everest my core temps are disabled by my cpu temp is still there.
when running prime95 as a duel core my cpu temp reaches about 62c my core temp is 52. according to hwmonitor it is 52 aswell.

When running Phenom II x4 B50 the core temp gets disabled but the cpu temp is still there and under prime95 that reaches 70c
and still climbing.

I have cool and quiet running and I just have been reading that you should disable it when running quad core
1. is this nessasary.
2. will it drop the temperatures ?

also some people say I should raise the volts and yet some say i don't need to.
1. should i raise the volts
2. will raising the volts slightly lower the temps? I ask this because mabye the cpu isn't getting enough volts as a quad so I thaught maby the temps were high for that reason.

I am using a stock cooler.

Almost everyone I have asked this too has told me it will run fine on a stock cooler. but those temps don't seem right.

also im not planning to overclock just unlock
and the settings i have when i unlock the cores are

ACC - Per core and all is set to -2% ( could this be resulting in high temps too?. ) most people have it set to auto or all cores.
although mine seems to run fine on per core just high temps.

Cheers!

seabreeze

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I'm looking at a stock cooler for the 550 - it's a piddly little piece of aluminium with a fan slapped on top. Just fine for a dual core.

Now I walk over to the other bench and look at the cooler for the X4 940 - it's much bigger with copper everywhere, and fins, and pipes and a bigger fan.

Both processors run about the same speed.

I understand there are many running the X2 550 as an X4 B50 with the stock cooler, but I really think it's better with a cooler designed for a quad and not a dual. I don't see too may "upgrading" their quad cores with coolers from Semperons or Celerons.

First thing I'd do is compare idle temps in BIOS for both the 550 and B50, see what you're getting there. Also see what they are when you get to desktop using hwmonitor or similar. You now have four temps - two for each in BIOS and two for each running in the os, all four at idle.

Are they comparable? I mean, is the 550 BIOS and desktop temps the same as each other, and is the B50 BIOS and desktops the same as each other. If so, then your temps during stress tests are probably accurate.

Take you volts off Auto and set is for 1.375 or whatever you prefer for both 550 and B50 tests. See how much the volts dive under load using cpu-z, especially for the B50. That might give you an idea as well.

ACC -2% Per Core is just fine.

Lastly, remember this: these cores were not used for a reason. Possibly to fill production quotas, in which case they are 100% functional, or possibly because it didn't pass certain quality controls or tests. It may be that your processor, while not having two extra dead cores, has two extra, but hot running, cores. Of course, I'm only speculating. Perhaps all you need is a more effecient cooler.

oxymorosis

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009

Its barely better than the stock cooler. You need a tower mate, something like Prolimatech Megahalems.

G

As stated in your other post. The cooler you are looking at is not going to give you any better temps as it is basically the same design as the stock cooler. One big chunk of aluminum. You will need something with better cooling. Also you posted the type of case you have in the other thread and it does not have the best of airflow as it is.

G

I own one of these coolers and it is not much bigger than the stock cooler and performs the same. I had stated my AMD Phenom II 550 Unlocked temps with the stock cooler in the other thread. You are running a little high for the stock cooler or the Arctic Cooling Alpine. You need a heat-sink with better performance than these can offer. The Arctic Cooling is designed for a Maximum Cooling Capacity: 90 Watts. By unlocking your 550 you are pushing close to 125 Watts.

G

If not overclocking this should do. I have used these in the past with good results.

instantcoffee

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
If not overclocking this should do. I have used these in the past with good results.
well thats ok then I suppose. thats $58 I don't have lol! I have to sort out the money. Still $58 for a cooler to have a quad that still might not be stable. but I actually think it will pass the prime95 just needs another cooler. thx for your time to reply. The reason why i keep asking these questions is because there are so many people who can run it as a quad on stock coolers. there is a guy on youtube his name is RobsRigg and he has his running X4 B50 3.5Ghz on a stock cooler. thats crazy.

seabreeze

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007

Hello. Can you see me? I'm waving to you across the Tasman. :hello:

I had a look at the site you've used and it seems you'll need to spend nzd45.00 onwards to get a decent cooler. I like these here in oz:
http://www.altech.com.au/productinfo.aspx?id=21930
rrp nzd51.00, distributor nzd32.00, but then you'd have to float in across the water...

Maybe buying a used quad cooler off eBay or something?

instantcoffee

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
trademe is like the nz version of ebay except its better and easier too use imo.

I was wondering. on the side of my case there is a vent there with screws obviously for a case fan. on the same spot but the inside of the case there is a tube that leads towards the cpu if i were to put fan there to suck air through to the cpu would that cool it down alot?

seabreeze

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
The duct is there to draw air from outside the case. Adding a fan to the duct may cause the duct to intefere with the top of the cpu cooler, so check that first. I think you'll find the duct has a larger cross-sectional area that the cpu cooler (even if the cooler fan is the same diameter) due to the centre of the cooler fan being solid.

If both the duct and fan are OD 90mm and the centre of the fan is 20mm, you have:
3.141x45^2 - 3.141x10^2 = 6,046mm2.
Total area for OD 90mm is 6,360mm2, which is larger.
Anyway, my point is a duct of the same diameter as the cpu fan will not restrict the fan in it's operation. The velocity of the air through the duct will be slower than through the fan itself.

If you had a 120mm 3000rpm fan on top of the heat sink with a 70mm duct feeding it, then that could be a problem. Or a filter that's restricting air flow on the duct.

Simple solution for a test: take the side cover off and blow some air in there with a desk fan or similar. Crude and rude, but effective. If you get lower temps then the better cooler is the only option.

instantcoffee

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

do you recommend this cpu cooler? would it run this cpu as a x4 b50 fine?

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
get titan nk85tz or something like that works great a lil big but fit in my antec 300 case so its all good keeps my dual core at 25 idle wen out of the cabinet its at 22c idle on load max i got was 34c so pretty good.

instantcoffee

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

sry searched the titan cooler and couldnt find any sites from nz what so ever.