Phenom II x4 BE vs the AMD Llano APU: Which is better for gaming?

Coastaltuba

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Just as the title asks. I want to get a good, cheaper AMD CPU, and right now, the Llano is looking good with HD 6550D integrated into the CPU. So, would it be better to get Llano, or the Phenom II x4 BE, with a dedicated GPU?

Solution
If you are gaming, then presumably you'd want a dedicated gpu anyway, at which point you are much better off with a BE quad core.

If you are just planing on 'light' gaming, and would rather have a box without a dedicated gpu, then llano would serve you better than the motherboard's onboard graphics.

max40watt

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
If you are gaming, then presumably you'd want a dedicated gpu anyway, at which point you are much better off with a BE quad core.

If you are just planing on 'light' gaming, and would rather have a box without a dedicated gpu, then llano would serve you better than the motherboard's onboard graphics.

Solution

Coastaltuba

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
I'm going to get a dedicated GPU later, but like 3 months from now, and I do casual gaming. I play the newest titles, but I don't worry too much about FPS and things. Does anyone know if you can overclock the Llano?

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

that's a broad term mate. do you mean you play casual games, or do you mean you seldom play games?

since you're going the discreet gpu path, go with an i3-2100 instead.

Coastaltuba

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
I play the newest games, but I don't worry about graphics, more the story line. And as I'm using a Vizio 720p tv, the best wouldn't do much to help.

I would rather have true cores than hyperthreading

Timop

Distinguished
The A8 would actually be good, as the whole platform can actually play most games on 720p without much trouble.

Though an AM3 setup would be more flexible and allow higher OCs/upgrades, Lynx would bea no-fuss simple system that still potent.