Question Phenom II x6 1055t & GTX 980ti

PCMDDOCTORS

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Hey all.... I got a great deal on a GTX 980ti to replace my Asus Radeon HD 6670. I plan on building a new system within the next couple of months but I just want to know how bad my current CPU will handle this newer card. I only play Diablo 3 RoS and stream YouTube, Crunchyroll, & HBO. Thanks everyone!

LinuxDevice

Notable
May 20, 2017
I have a Phenom II x4. At best it can push my Titan Xp memory controller at 7% of capacity. For any Phenom II with a good video card (and the 980Ti is a good video card) my suggestion is a quote from a book: "Abandon all hope Ye who enter!".

What does memory controller capacity have to do with overall performance, except in rare cases where the memory limits of your GPU are exceeded?

That being said, a Phenom II x6 1055t is not a super fast performer, wasn't even when it was new, and will definitely leave a lot of the 980 Ti's performance on the table. However, since all you're asking from your system is that it stream some online content and play Diablo III : RoS, and the requirements for that game seem comparatively low, you should be more than fine until you put together your new system. Also, if you're running a 60 Hz display, there's a good possibility that you won't even be missing any of the extra performance that you won't be achieving in games by using the older CPU.