Question Phenom II x6 1055t Smart to Overclock?

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
Hey all... I have had this CPU for a few years now but never overclocked it. I know how to but was always against it as I love to get the full life from my parts before they die. I got the CPU from ebay and I don't know if someone had overclocked it before. Giving it's age is it smart to overclock?

The only reason I am considering this is because someone is offering me a 1080ti and I know it will be a bottleneck but it will be better than my current GPU (PNY GTX 750). When I upgrade my full system in a few months I can reuse the 1080ti.

Could you post your system components.
Overclock its silicon out.
You might be able to get to 3700Mhz without any voltage increases, just by raising its base frequency.
Just make sure to disable AMD Turbo Core Technology, since it will mess with the system when you raise base frequency.

Last edited:

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
Could you post your system components.
Overclock its silicon out.
You might be able to get to 3700Mhz without any voltage increases, just by raising its base frequency.
Just make sure to disable AMD Turbo Core Technology, since it will mess with the system when you raise base frequency.

Current Build

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master DK9-7E52A-0L-GP CPU Cooler ($28.48 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Storage: Mushkin ECO3 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($349.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 600 W ATX Power Supply ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-2209 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech MK520 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard With Laser Mouse ($39.99 @ Best Buy)
Custom: PNY-GeForce GTX 750 2GB GDDR5 2048MB GDDR5
Custom: DIYPC Zondda-O Black USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case with 3 x Orange Fans (1 x 140mm LED Fan x side, 1 x 120mm LED Fan x front, 1 x 120mm fan x rear) ($55.89 @ Amazon)
Custom: Samsung SyncMaster T24B350 EW LED
Custom: RealWorld Technology Sicuro RW-360XL Techno Lighting 360° "Surround Sound" Gaming Speakers

This is my current set up. I'm just worried about killing my CPU before I have time to replace it with a new system.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hey all... I have had this CPU for a few years now but never overclocked it. I know how to but was always against it as I love to get the full life from my parts before they die. I got the CPU from ebay and I don't know if someone had overclocked it before. Giving it's age is it smart to overclock?

The only reason I am considering this is because someone is offering me a 1080ti and I know it will be a bottleneck but it will be better than my current GPU (PNY GTX 750). When I upgrade my full system in a few months I can reuse the 1080ti.

There's no NEED to overclock. The 1080Ti will perform better than your existing card, it's just that you can't reap the full benefits of it with that old Phenom.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
The only thing that’s gonna kill the cpu is over voltage. Modern CPUs have temperature sensors to keep things in check older CPUs like the old AMD durons could actually fry themselves when you take the cpu cooler off.