Phenom II X6: First Details Of ‘Thuban’ Design Emerge

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel266

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
if just AMD put The "Hyper threading" feature on this cpus im sure it will beat some of the i7 with a price we can afford ..forget 980 ..$1099 price....

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
This is great news! Based on the previous articles here on Tom's that show most games only benefit from up to about 3 cores, I think AMD has hit the nail on the head with Turbo CORE by making 3 cores increase in speed under heavy load, and yet still having the ability to use six cores in heavily threaded apps like video editing and photo editing software. Beautiful.
Now it's time for software devs to catch up and thread apps more.

chefboyeb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I'll gladly pass on the 800 chipset, but toss me a Thuban anyday... I have a 790FX that still handles very well and would still do the same in comparison...

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
I probably don't need to upgrade my X4 920, but I can't resist the deal... drop in replacement, can use the same HSF, improved multitasking and single-threaded performance... sigh.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
i call the leo platform an architecture compatibility heaven ergo (... MAXIMUM ... efficiency...) and yes it will play crysis. <_<

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]daniel266[/nom]if just AMD put The "Hyper threading" feature on this cpus im sure it will beat some of the i7 with a price we can afford ..forget 980 ..$1099 price....[/citation]

Well, that's debatable, at least for gaming. If I recall correctly, tests with Intel CPUs with hyperthreading on vs off usually found minimal performance loss, in fact, sometimes gained a couple FPS.

For productivity, yes, would definitely help, but I'll admit I'm a gamer first and foremost. :p

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Whoa! When did AMD drop low-k dialectics in? I remember hearing that they were planning a kind of "2-stage" 45nm process, but since I hadn't heard anything more, I figured it had been scrapped.

Now I'm very interested in Thuban, since it has at least a revised process revision and a turbo, I wonder if there are any more goodies we'll find out. Awesome.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised if AMD's first Thuban X4s with Hot and Loud end up being X6s with 1-2 bad cores. This has been AMD's pattern in the past.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Nice. I really can't wait, and pray that there are no compatibility issues with AM2+ sockets and that all manufacturers get on the ball with proper BIOS updates.

If they do that, I'll have an excuse to get rid of that dreaded 7850 Kuma in my other system by passing down this "cripple-core" 720 BE to it while I go freakin nuts with a 6 core monster in this machine!

Chris: Any chance you've gotten word from any manufacturers about what current motherboards will support these, like the one ASUS released? If not, maybe you could urge them to do so?

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Does anybody know if Flight Simulator X would use all 6 cores? If a program is labeled as multi-threaded that doesn't necessarily mean it will use ALL available cores does it?

welshmousepk

Distinguished
AMD have already said that the leaked pricing is correct, and that their hex-cores WILL be under 300 dollars.

i don't have the page bookmarked, but i'm sure you guys can find it. not speculation, fact.

notty22

Distinguished
I'm glad to see that AMD is vindicating Turbo technology, that Intel brought to the landscape. Credit to AMD giving the consumer the first semi-inexpensive 6 core. But I know if Intel launched a similar part first, I would see plenty of, "no one needs a 6 core, especially not a GAMER !." Good times ,for enthusiasts!

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]Nice. I really can't wait, and pray that there are no compatibility issues with AM2+ sockets and that all manufacturers get on the ball with proper BIOS updates.If they do that, I'll have an excuse to get rid of that dreaded 7850 Kuma in my other system by passing down this "cripple-core" 720 BE to it while I go freakin nuts with a 6 core monster in this machine!Chris: Any chance you've gotten word from any manufacturers about what current motherboards will support these, like the one ASUS released? If not, maybe you could urge them to do so?[/citation]

Supposedly AM2+ boards will have no problem, but AMD only confirmed that Turbo is supported by AM3!

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]daniel266[/nom]if just AMD put The "Hyper threading" feature on this cpus im sure it will beat some of the i7 with a price we can afford ..forget 980 ..$1099 price....[/citation]
Thats called bulldozer, possible samples q4, production q1-q2 2011. That is unless GF transition to 32 and 22nm goes really well, or really bad.

dranicus

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Amd has decided to make their thuban cpu's more efficent with better instructions. This is a great step forward for them. The thuban has been on every enthusiasts mind from amd fans to intel fans. It will be interesting to see how this hexa-core performs.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008

By AM3, do you mean AM3 boards using 890 series chipsets, or both the 890 and 790 series? The only difference between an AM3 and AM2+ sockets using the same 790-series chipsets is the AM3 support for DDR3. It would make little sense for the type of memory used to be the determining factor for a CPU's ability to self-adjust it's clocks. I can only guess that whatever that difference is between the two sockets that limits AM2+ to DDR2 is also the factor that determines the Turbo CORE support. Wish I knew just what that difference is... Must have missed it while gaming or something :)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Amazing.
Also just to point out a fun fact, Intel's new Xeon 7500 series beasts are are 45nm too.
It seems both AMD and Intel are reluctant for 32nm, but luckily the 45nm process still has a lot of room for improvement. Hell, just imagine what they could do to the old C2D's on even a modern 45nm process (the P9700 is already at 2.8GHz @ 28W). As nice as these monster desktop chips are, the mobile market does have the largest consumer market share.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the crowd using liquid nitrogen/helium want high leakage CPU's? A lot more headroom, but a lot hotter chips.

Regardless, good job AMD.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008

Both 700- and 800-series chipsets, is my understanding :) As far as what determines support, I'll try to get confirmation from AMD for the launch!

Status
Not open for further replies.