PhenomII or Q9300 for rendering?

CanadaJ

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Working on my first build...I posted a while ago and did some research since.

I'd like to hear opinions on two CPUs. I mostly run AutoCad and 3DSmax software as well as the CS3 creative suite (photoshop and illustrator), which I believe are only single thread.

I was first considering a much slower CPU and graphic card, but for my uses, I think the faster processor gives me the advantage.

Here are the two I'm thinking about:

1. AMD AM2+ Phenom II 920 Quad Core 2.8GHz 8MB
2. Intel C2Q Q9300 2.5GHZ 6MB

Any thoughts? The AMD seems to be faster with more cache...is this an obvious choice? On the other hand, the Q9300 's architecture is 45nm. I have no intention of OC. I'll be running on a Asus P5QL Pro Mobo, 4GB RAM.

Thanks,

J

CanadaJ

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Thanks. I thought that too at first...but the benchmarks all seem to say the Q9300 is faster, that's where I get confused. "On paper", the PII should be faster...but in reality?

CanadaJ

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
If price is not an issue between the two, is the Intel any better or is that just me holding on to my intel "loyalty"?

Also...if I want to do BASIC gaming, say Spores, or Sim City, do I need a video card or is this system enough?

J

There have been several similar posts recently. The general consensus seem to be quad core for AutoCad, video work, and digital image rendering processes.

There was a different thread within the last few days about software programs that could make use of quad core. There was a list and Adobe products were on the list. However, it was noted that some software may not make 100% full use of all four cores. Some of the usage statistics were shown in percentages less than 100%. Unfortunately I am growing old disgracefully and I forget things. I can't remember the title of the thread or which section it was in.

In the meantime another person started a thread today about upgrading a socket 939 system. Turns out the guy and his friend were design engineers using AutoCad/LDD. There happen to be engineers at the technology complex where I work who are heavy AutoCad users. I was pretty sure they swore by quad core and lots of memory but I couldn't remember the details or which operating system they used. I went over to find out but the guys took the afternoon off. I'll find out tomorrow and post the information.

Edit - Yes, you'll need a video graphics card.

CanadaJ

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I guess now the question is Phenom II 920 vs Intel Q9400? I'll check prices tomorrow...unfortunately the stores website still lists the old models at the old prices.

Did Intel cut prices in 2009?

J

zipzoomflyhigh - I had to read my post several times. I didn't say anything about dual core. Instead, I was making comments about quad core cpu's being a good choice for use with AutoCad. At least that was my intent.

CanadaJ - I had the opportunity to speak with the design engineers this morning. They are using several different versions of Intel quad core cpu's, 16GB of memory, Windows Vista 64 bit operating system, and AutoCad 2008 which works well with a 64 bit operating system. There are different versions of AutoCad. The older versions do not work well in a 64 bit environment. The newer versions improve rendering and other features. They could not comment about AMD Phenom II simply because it is brand new and was not available when they did their upgrade last year.

There appears to another issue - video cards. The engineers felt priority should be assigned to the cpu and lots of memory at the expense of a video card. Their line of thinking was that intensive 3D video games are gpu intensive while the work they do is cpu and memory intensive.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

a point not brought up often enough. the upgrade path is very attractive if you already have an AM2 board but reality needs to win over at some point and acknowledge in 2 years neither socket will be in use.

CanadaJ

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Well I made my decision today,

I got the Q9400 with a lower video card. Everyone I talk to said that CPU and RAM were the two big issues with Autodesk products.

I think I made the right decision, and the price was right for the system.

I also got a 600W power source which will allow me to eventually overclock and upgrade video card to something like the NVIDIA GT9800 or the ATI 4800.

I also got Windows Vista 64bit. I'll be running 4G of RAM, and will soon increase if required.

J

halcyon

Splendid
Are there actually everyday circumstances when any AMD chip outperforms a similarly clocked Intel Core-based chip? I thought you just went AMD when

1) You're supporting the little guy and trying to keep competition alive

or

2) Every penny saved really does count, even at the cost of performance

...or are there applications where AMD is now taking the lead and blowing away Intel? I've not been following the latest press.

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
It's not that fact that Intel is blowing Phenom II away, i'd just rather spend the cash I save on something else, rather than trying to increase my reasonably good FPS by 10.

halcyon

Splendid
I guess, when you consider the whole cost of the platform and not just the processor, AMD is considerably cheaper.

...and in these times of economic turmoil that is quite important to a lot of people.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
I don't want to turn this into another pointless i7 vs. P2 thread, but I didn't know photoshop, video encoding, and rendering programs are considered as "synthetic benchmark". :sarcastic:

CanadaJ

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Well I bought the Q9400 and not going to look back. Doesn't REALLY matter. I'm sure any difference will not be noticed by me. Besides, the Q9400 was the same price as the PII 420, not the 440.

One strange thing...looking at the parts list, there's no sound card! Does this mean...no sound???

J

CanadaJ,

Just about all motherboards have onboard sound. Some motherboards have more than one type of onboard sound to choose from. I hooked mine up to my old home theater sound system. ROCK THE HOUSE!

No need to look back! You did good! That's from an AMD fan!

blackpanther26

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007

don't you mean the 920 and the 940. Also if you wanted to in the future you could get the Q9550 or Q9650 which has 12MB cache.

jimbo75,

We're getting a little off subject here but you mentioned not noticing a difference. I have Internet service with Cox Cable. They offer three levels of service. They claim higher download speeds are possible with the premium service. I got curious and read the fine print. It said higher download speeds would be possible only if available. I was pretty sure that meant when things got busy which is probably most of the time the higher download speeds would not be available. I called them up and changed to the entry level service which cost one half of the top of the line service. My eyeballs have not been able to see any difference at all.

CanadaJ

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
so my Asus P5QL Pro has an onboard sound card?

Also, is 500W PSU enough to eventually run with a NVIDIA 9800GT and the CPU OCed to 3.0Ghz?

J

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts