Philadelphia about to become one giant WiFi Hot Spot!!!

TJM

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2003

Plans are now in the works to turn all 135 sq. mi. of Philadelphia into one big
WiFi hot spot. City officials want to spend $10 million installing thousands of
access points atop lampposts.

Just wait until 802.16 WiMAX hits the market....then every town in America will
be doing this.

The Digital Revolution has begun.......

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040901/ap_on_hi_te/wireless_cities

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

TJM wrote:
> Plans are now in the works to turn all 135 sq. mi. of Philadelphia into one big
> WiFi hot spot. City officials want to spend $10 million installing thousands of
> access points atop lampposts.
>
> Just wait until 802.16 WiMAX hits the market....then every town in America will
> be doing this.
>
> The Digital Revolution has begun.......
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040901/ap_on_hi_te/wireless_cities

I don't know if you're some sort of whipping boy for the wireless
manufacturers or simply delusional, but WiMax is not going to be the
holy grail of internet access right out of the gate. I hope it does
catch on, but hoping and reality can sometimes be entirely different.

And if you'll note, not at any point in that article does the term WiMax
get mentioned, they're discussing wireless mesh. However, WiFi is
mentioned for other areas.

As for WiMax hitting the market, it's available now from some sources.
But there's a lot of misinformation being circulated about it and it's
capabilities.

I have a land based wireless broadband service to my remote rural
location. It gives me a rock solid 200kbs up and 900 down. It costs
me $40 a month. It uses a roof antenna with line of site to a 300
foot tower that is 25 miles away. I'm told it's based on a licensed
frequency. The "WIMAX" we are hearing about doesn't promise any more
than this to the consumer. What does wimax do that I don't already
have?

TJM

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2003

> I don't know if you're some sort of whipping boy for the wireless
> manufacturers or simply delusional, but WiMax is not going to be the
> holy grail of internet access right out of the gate. I hope it does
> catch on, but hoping and reality can sometimes be entirely different.

It's already being field-tested in a small Georgia town and rural customers are
getting reliable 5 Mbps wireless throughput at 15 mile NLOS range.

It started in the UK. Here's a link to a good article -

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/01/15/wireless_lamp_posts_take_over/

If this thing proves out, I wouldn't want to be working for a
telephone company. Contrary to the article, I don't think it takes a
lot to carry telephone traffic over this type of network as well.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

With the city providing the access, is anyone concerned about
"big brother" spying? I know they have access to our browsing now,
this would just make it ten times easier.

What makes you think that they are interested in YOU?