Philips 276E6 27-inch Quantum Dot Monitor Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Finally! I've been really wanting to see this technology come through to more than two products (that I'm aware of)

Dan414

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
I'm not too concerned with power consumption at my desk. How about phones and laptops - will we see quantum dot screens there soon?

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Love the tech, but the screen specs at that size will make it look like monster dot technology. 1920 x 1080 at 27" looks just horrendous after using a higher rez monitor. Some monitor OEMs are a bit behind the times it seems (although this tech is pretty cool).

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
For gamers seeking vivid color and a bright image, your monitor has arrived. 18ms is an excellent score for any 60Hz display

I can only LOL and I never LOL. 18ms response (57ms total lag) is just god awful terrible. These arbitrary endorsements are getting lame.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
All this quantum bull* and still 1000:1? Meanwhile tablets and smartphones using IPS neo from jdi with near 2000:1.

Or even better an RGB OLED display.

Love the tech, but the screen specs at that size will make it look like monster dot technology. 1920 x 1080 at 27" looks just horrendous after using a higher rez monitor. Some monitor OEMs are a bit behind the times it seems (although this tech is pretty cool).
I have been using a 1080p 27" benq VA panel for a while. Coming from 24" 1080p there really isn't a huge difference, you get used to it and stop looking for the dots after a while. For gaming its really not an issue, but for content creation maybe you would want higher res.....which is where this monitor is aimed at.....

A lot of comments indicate confusion with the data.

For one thing the 18ms is Black-to-white, it is not grey-to-grey.

Other things like 27" at 1080p are somewhat valid, but not everybody sits the same distance from their monitors. Some lean back in their chairs or push the monitor towards the rear of the desk so 27" may be ideal for them.

OLED has its own issues, which is why we don't have monitors yet.

Frankly, if people would carefully read the review it appears this monitor sits in a price/feature niche that is appealing to some people.

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
It's no gaming monitor. Gray to gray is 5ms which is meh, and without strobing to compensate (pointless here anyway) it will blur badly. Hard to game seriously with 3.4 frames input lag. Probably great for photography though!

5ms is really not that bad IMO.

I think we have different opinions of what is acceptable. For example in the article:

"There aren't too many 60Hz IPS displays that can beat the 276E6 in the lag test. It's certainly the fastest wide-gamut monitor we've tested. It's not marketed as a gaming screen but will certainly work well as one."

I think the problem is that the method for input lag they use is probably different from what others use, just like the response time 18ms b-to-w instead of 5ms g-to-g.

If you want 1ms response times then you have to go with a TN panel and sacrifice color and viewing angles.

But seriously, you may want to READ AGAIN this page:

"For gamers seeking vivid color and a bright image, your monitor has arrived. That's assuming you don't care about things like adaptive-sync or high refresh rates. 18ms is an excellent score for any 60Hz display. We saw a visible improvement when we turned the SmartResponse option to Fastest. It introduces a tiny bit of ghosting to moving objects but that is more than made up for by significant blur reduction and an increase in motion resolution."

So again, not perfect, but then find me a monitor that is.

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
I think we have different opinions of what is acceptable.
5ms is really not that bad IMO.

True on the first one. I'm not knocking the monitor, just the over enthusiastic gaming endorsement...response time on the other hand is really irrelevant here considering persistence blur will be the main cause of blur on this panel. It won't be a "tiny bit". Not a big deal to some gamers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.