Question Philips 329M1RV problem switching from DP input to USBC input when refresh rate on DP 120 Hz or higher

Apr 28, 2023
While my monitor has a great picture I am having a little trouble with it switching inputs. I have my gaming PC connected to displayport as my nvidia 3070 card g-sync works best on displayport. Then I have my Razerbook laptop connected to USBC.

When I have my laptop connected and on, I see the picture on USBC. When I switch to DP on my gaming PC running at 120 Hz or above, I see the DP picture. However, if I try to switch back to USBC with the laptop still on, the monitor is unable to display the picture from the laptop. It gives a message stating "No video". The only ways to get the picture back from the laptop is to leave the monitor input on USBC and then turn the monitor off and turn it back on again OR to put the gaming PC to sleep or turn the gaming PC off so there is no output on the DP connection.

The same behavior happens when I connect an Intel NUC 11th generation (11PAHi5 model) over usbc, I cannot switch back to the NUC over USBC without putting the gaming PC to sleep or power cycling the monitor.

If I connect the gaming PC to HDMI on the monitor, it is able to switch to USBC no problem. However, G-SYNC does not work so well over HDMI on some games I play. So I really need to use Displayport. Also when I connect the NUC by HDMI, it can switch from DP to HDMI no problem. But the auto KVM does not work unless one computer is connected by USBC. Manually changing the KVM is a pain as it is buried in the OSD menu.

Through my own troubleshooting, I discovered if I change the refresh rate on the gaming PC over DP to 98 Hz or lower, I am able to switch to the USBC input with the gaming PC still on and I get a video signal.

The monitor otherwise is good. No pixel problems. Using my calibrite meter, Excellent uniformity less than 7% variation, peak brightness over 600, excellent contrast ratio.

And for the most part, it is unusual that I need to switch to my laptop or NUC while I am using the gaming PC. so i can live with it.

Philips has not gotten back to me through their support after 4 days now. I am hoping there is an expert out there who has insight as to why the monitor would be doing this. Does the DP and USBC share bandwidth inside the monitor? Is that common in monitors - ie, would this same behavior happen on the Gigabyte M32U or other competing 32 in 144 Hz gaming monitor for example? Might it have to do with Display Stream Compression used for achieving 144 Hz on DP 1.4?

Reactions: prokvm
Apr 28, 2023
Additional info on the Philips 329M1RV - I discovered that I can switch to USBC if DP is at 120 Hz running in SDR rather than HDR. According to this wikipedia article on displayport https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort, 120 Hz 8bits per pixel 4k is the limit of DP 1.4 without DSC. This monitor's behavior must have something to do with DSC being activated on the DP port beyond 120 Hz SDR or 98 Hz HDR, and USBC then becoming unusable. If anyone can verify if they have similar behavior from other brands 4k 144 hz monitors like the Gigabyte M32U or the MSI 144 Hz monitor, then it would be helpful to know that DSC can cause this.

So the limit my DP computer can be set to is either 98 Hz HDR or 120 Hz SDR before DSC gets turned on in the monitor and then it can no longer recognize the USBC computer. My NUC and Razerbook are unable to output higher than 120 Hz SDR so they must not be able to use DSC. It would be interesting to see if I had a computer with a USBC connection that could do DSC to see if the monitor would be able to switch.

Reactions: prokvm