Review Philips Evnia 42M2N89 Gaming Monitor Review: The OLED Invasion Continues

toffty

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
It's a TV And on that note you can find the LG 42 OLED 120Hz around $700
Beat me to it. I don't know why / how monitor manufacturers continue to ask for obscene prices when there are same/better products for cheaper.
The 48" LG can be had for $500 less too

Greg7579

Commendable
Jun 11, 2022
Christian, I need your help. I am a Medium Format (GFX) photographer and have enjoyed editing and viewing my own extremely high-resolution files on 32 inch 4K professional IPS monitors (various ASUS pro monitors over the years). I am about to build a top-end gaming PC, but I do not game. I just want a fully loaded extremely top-end PC because I just do, and also because Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom use a lot of AI masking and features now, so I will be running a 4090 GPU and the best ram and CPU that can be had. Now the monitor....
I almost ordered an ASUS mini-LED at 3-5 grand this past year but held off. I've followed the OLED invasion that you wrote about and know you love OLED. I have an OLED 80 inch TV in fact.
But I'm about to order the Dell 6K you reviewed, and I know you talked about the drawbacks of IPS and the HDR performance of that Dell IPS monitor. But 6K is 6 K.... And I'll be viewing and editing thousands of those huge GFX raw files. Plus, the Dell 6K IPS has double the PPI of this Phillips OLED monitor.
I am so tempted by this OLED invasion. and this monitor. I know my images will look stunning on it.
But 6k is 6k.... And the Dell PPI is way better....
Plus, I won't be able to get back 4 or 5 feet from that 42-inch monitor. I will be at normal desktop viewing distance.
I have heard some productivity guys say not to go with OLED unless you are a gamer. They talked about fonts and how the screen looks with windows 11 and all the Microsoft and Adobe programs having certain issues. One prominent tech guy said to not even consider OLED for Windows productivity work.
Is this monitor OK for productivity and for my photography? I don't care about not being able to calibrate it. The color specs are awesome.
So, what do you think, Sir.... Should I get the Dell 32 inch IPS 6K or this (or one of these) 42 inch OLED?
I don't care about the cost in this case - 1400 vs 3500. I care, but it is not an issue in this case. The Dell is twice as much, but it is 6K....
Would you be willing to tell me which way to go in my case? Should I get that 42 inch OLED for what I do (not game).

newtechldtech

Respectable
Sep 21, 2022
Christian, I need your help. I am a Medium Format (GFX) photographer and have enjoyed editing and viewing my own extremely high-resolution files on 32 inch 4K professional IPS monitors (various ASUS pro monitors over the years). I am about to build a top-end gaming PC, but I do not game. I just want a fully loaded extremely top-end PC because I just do, and also because Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom use a lot of AI masking and features now, so I will be running a 4090 GPU and the best ram and CPU that can be had. Now the monitor....
I almost ordered an ASUS mini-LED at 3-5 grand this past year but held off. I've followed the OLED invasion that you wrote about and know you love OLED. I have an OLED 80 inch TV in fact.
But I'm about to order the Dell 6K you reviewed, and I know you talked about the drawbacks of IPS and the HDR performance of that Dell IPS monitor. But 6K is 6 K.... And I'll be viewing and editing thousands of those huge GFX raw files. Plus, the Dell 6K IPS has double the PPI of this Phillips OLED monitor.
I am so tempted by this OLED invasion. and this monitor. I know my images will look stunning on it.
But 6k is 6k.... And the Dell PPI is way better....
Plus, I won't be able to get back 4 or 5 feet from that 42-inch monitor. I will be at normal desktop viewing distance.
I have heard some productivity guys say not to go with OLED unless you are a gamer. They talked about fonts and how the screen looks with windows 11 and all the Microsoft and Adobe programs having certain issues. One prominent tech guy said to not even consider OLED for Windows productivity work.
Is this monitor OK for productivity and for my photography? I don't care about not being able to calibrate it. The color specs are awesome.
So, what do you think, Sir.... Should I get the Dell 32 inch IPS 6K or this (or one of these) 42 inch OLED?
I don't care about the cost in this case - 1400 vs 3500. I care, but it is not an issue in this case. The Dell is twice as much, but it is 6K....
Would you be willing to tell me which way to go in my case? Should I get that 42 inch OLED for what I do (not game).
6k is 6k ? get 8K oled .... 32 inch 8K resolution OLED monitors are coming this year.

Greg7579

Commendable
Jun 11, 2022
6k is 6k ? get 8K oled .... 32 inch 8K resolution OLED monitors are coming this year.
I don't think 8K OLED desktop monitors are coming this year. I might be wrong about that. Hope I am. But how is OLED for productivity? Photoshop? Lightroom? Windows? MS Office? The web? I'm not a gamer but will have the powerful PC.

newtechldtech

Respectable
Sep 21, 2022
I’m waiting for a 32” OLED. 42” is too big for an average desk.
no need to wait more

slurmsmckenzie

Reputable
Apr 12, 2021
no need to wait more

I really liked the idea of this LG monitor but having since got a screen that can do 144Hz I don't really want to go back to something that restricts me to 60Hz. Can't speak for @UWguy but I'm looking forward to a 32" OLED that can do 144Hz+ and isn't as expensive as the professional monitors like the LG-32EP950-B (almost $4k from that link).

Having said that the sub-pixel layout thing does give me pause, as does potential image retention of course. But if one of the top manufacturers brings out a 4k 32" OLED capable of 144Hz or above for less than £1k then I would definitely be interested!

newtechldtech

Respectable
Sep 21, 2022
I really liked the idea of this LG monitor but having since got a screen that can do 144Hz I don't really want to go back to something that restricts me to 60Hz. Can't speak for @UWguy but I'm looking forward to a 32" OLED that can do 144Hz+ and isn't as expensive as the professional monitors like the LG-32EP950-B (almost $4k from that link).

Having said that the sub-pixel layout thing does give me pause, as does potential image retention of course. But if one of the top manufacturers brings out a 4k 32" OLED capable of 144Hz or above for less than £1k then I would definitely be interested!

LG is an OLED panels manufacturer , so expect this same 31.5 inch Oled panel to be used in cheaper non professional monitors ... give it some time and I think that Asus or Acer will pick the panel and make a gaming monitor out of it.

slurmsmckenzie

Reputable
Apr 12, 2021
LG is an OLED panels manufacturer , so expect this same 31.5 inch Oled panel to be used in cheaper non professional monitors ... give it some time and I think that Asus or Acer will pick the panel and make a gaming monitor out of it.
The panel in this monitor is actually made by JOLED: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/57962329

From what I understand JOLED aren't a going concern anymore so not sure whether anyone would be able to use it in future for new monitors. But I think there are other 4k 32" panels on the horizon, fingers crossed!

Jul 27, 2023
Automatic Brightness reduction is a no go for me. I have this on the LG C1 and the screen dims when i'm working in Word or Excel. Very annoying.

slurmsmckenzie

Reputable
Apr 12, 2021
Automatic Brightness reduction is a no go for me. I have this on the LG C1 and the screen dims when i'm working in Word or Excel. Very annoying.
That would be annoying. I occasionally think about having two monitors, an IPS for normal desktop stuff and an OLED for gaming and media consumption, maybe one day!

newtechldtech

Respectable
Sep 21, 2022
I’m waiting for a 32” OLED. 42” is too big for an average desk.

The panel in this monitor is actually made by JOLED: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/57962329

From what I understand JOLED aren't a going concern anymore so not sure whether anyone would be able to use it in future for new monitors. But I think there are other 4k 32" panels on the horizon, fingers crossed!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQrN2vWexgc

Reactions: slurmsmckenzie