Review Philips Evnia 49M2C8900 240 Hz QD-OLED gaming monitor review: Tremendous color and performance

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
When your monitor is wider than your desk, you've gone too wide...

Okay, I'm just being facetious here. I am so very much not the target audience for a product like this: I get pains in my neck if I turn my head too much these days.

Jul 7, 2024
What's up with all the insane Monitor aspect ratios??
32:9 is INSANE!
You can't put up a single page of a document without having to scroll vertically for half of it!
That makes monitors like this USELESS for anything but panoramic gaming.
Start making monitors with a vertical size that compliments the wideness and you'll have a resurgence in sales from people other than hardcore gamers!
16:10 was a decent aspect ratio. Productive.

Jul 8, 2024
You can't put up a single page of a document without having to scroll vertically for half of it!
Start making monitors with a vertical size that compliments the wideness and you'll have a resurgence in sales from people other than hardcore gamers!
You've clearly never worked on a ultra wide monitor with a decent resolution.

I thought they were a gimmick for gaming, and then I brought my first one (49in G9), and wow... greatest productivity gainer I've ever had. In my field of view I would have 4-5 windows open (one for coding, two web browsers testing my code; one for desktop, the other mobile), one for general web browsing (news) and the last space a film or word document / spreadsheet.

Its so good that when the 57in came out i jumped at it, as the dual 4k does improve vertical scrolling over the 49in.

Try one, you'll never look back.

Reactions: Eximo

halfcharlie

Prominent
Dec 21, 2022
Every. Single. Time. There's at least one if not more comments from completely utterly embarrassingly clueless people who have never used and have no need of a monitor like this and lack any critical thinking ability to compensate. The vertical resolution is the same as any other 2K screen, it's not the same as zooming in on a word document until it's as wide as the monitor, that would be obvious even to a toddler, at 100% it's a full page in Word top to bottom, like wth are you thinking.

Multiple times more usable than two separate screens, even than three (which I used to have) although less real estate because there's no bezel breaks or software weirdness. I couldn't live or be productive with a regular monitor, feels like I'm trapped in a tiny cage unable to move or be efficient, constantly alt-tabbing like it's my job to hit those two keys. Disgusting. Haven't upgraded to OLED yet but can't wait, there just hasn't been a monitor that is everything I want

Aug 22, 2024
Fair warning: This monitor has an HDR bug in combination with AMD cards (HDR does not trigger when using Freesync). Something that you don't come across when using nVidia cards in reviews and will probably be fixed through firmware soon, but nevertheless thought I should mention this. Brilliant screen in every other aspect.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Identical to two 16:9 screens, without a bezel in the middle. I use cheap dual 16:9 screens for work and it is fine. Having that be one screen that is also physically larger than two 1080p 24" screens is a whole other thing.

They do make monitors with taller resolutions. There are a few 3840 by 2560 displays out in the wild and some weirder ones like 2560x2880.