Philips Goes Big With 43-Inch UltraClear 4K IPS Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
VGA on a 4k IPS 43 inch display ... why ?
because sometimes you are working on a PC with issues, and having that legacy port is SUPER helpful. I never use VGA on a day-to-day basis, but when a friend brings me a broken rig, or when troubleshooting a PC at work, that VGA port almost always works even when everything else is dead.
Besides... why not?

Every once in a while a product comes out and it looks like a manufacturer took a look at your wish list and checked all of the boxes! This seems fantastic on papar. I'll need to find a few reviews on color acuracy and backlight bleed. If the are pretty good then I just might go with one of these.
I have had my eye on a 46" Sammy 9000 series TV for a while now, and while I know that would work great, I have a really hard time throwing $1500+ at a display. At half the price, and specifically made for PC work, this might be a better fit.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006

They should put a floppy disk drive and a PS/2 keyboard port on everything to keep the dinosaurs living in the obsolete technology past happy.

jfkeenan

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Shut up and take my money. I have the Philips 40" BDM4065 and I love it! I have 2 GTX Titan X in SLI and it looks fantastic! Tomb Raider and GTA in 4K at 60fps is amazing. I can't wait to have the 43"!!!

allanstrings

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

They should put a floppy disk drive and a PS/2 keyboard port on everything to keep the dinosaurs living in the obsolete technology past happy.

jesus people... read the damn article... "You can also use Philip’s MultiView technology to connect multiple devices to the display to view and work with more than one PC simultaneously." with tech like that available, it is great to have as many methods of connection as possible.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

except ps/2 keyboard is better than usb, at least for typing, but apparently you never had a keyboard that refused to let you into the bios or function till the os booted, there is a reason i keep a spare around.

i don't need my keyboard lighting up like a christmas tree, i hate leds, i hate the light, and i don't need drivers for my keyboard to work.

when the backwards compatibility costs next to if not nothing, and if i remember right, its sub 10$, then why not have it? this isnt an extreme budget monitor that where the cost of a vga will knock it out of price range for people, this is a 43 inch 4k ips at 60hz...

SiggeLund

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Would be nice to have external millimeter measurements for a beast like this. Not every desk / room that fits it.

JonDol

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
VGA on a 4k IPS 43 inch display ... why ?
because sometimes you are working on a PC with issues, and having that legacy port is SUPER helpful. I never use VGA on a day-to-day basis, but when a friend brings me a broken rig, or when troubleshooting a PC at work, that VGA port almost always works even when everything else is dead.
Besides... why not?

Just for that particular case you mentioned I still don't see the usefullness of the VGA port since there are lots of VGA to DVI,HDMI,DP adapters. Besides, it is just one more reason for the manufacturers to throw at us devices with that antique port thus providing crappy resolutions while we are in the 400+ ppi screen era.

I would prefer a DP 1.3 port instead of that VGA. There are almost 2 years since the standard was approved and there are no DP 1.3 devices on the market.

spr1nt3r

Commendable
May 4, 2016
I tried 43" 4k TV for a monitor for a while. Too big. I could comfortably work on 32" 4k display and somewhat ok with 40" but not 43". It's just too large.

Candre23

Reputable
May 11, 2015

I have a 40" 4k seiki now. It's perfectly fine, and I honestly wouldn't mind the negligible increase to 43". The slightly larger dot pitch would actually be an improvement.

hardarse7

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
I got a BEAUTIFUL 50" 4k Samsung TV (JU7100) for $749 on sale at Adorama a few weeks back and it is absolutely stunning. IMO 40" should be the *minimum* size of a 4k monitor. Anything smaller than that is just stupid unless you are 5" from the screen. That's like an array of 20" FHD screens. A 50" is like four 25" screens (without bezels), and it is glorious.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

have a vga to hdmi, doesn't work.
not everything will work correctly with a converter, native support is always better than an adaptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.