Question Philips Hue A19 Bulb is not working -- please help

recordsrecorded

Reputable
Dec 27, 2018
I've been on the phone, contacted customer support from Philips Hue and the Wiz app. No dice. I've had these bulbs for awhile now, well over a year. Old ISP was Suddenlink and they had their own modem on, bulbs worked fine. No issues at all, had to move, and as anyone in the USA knows the likelihood of keeping your ISP is next to null. My case no different, new ISP is Grande Communications and they installed their own modem. I do not personally have a modem to speak of nor a router, I am very well open to the idea of purchasing a new Modem if it's a last resort or frankly just one that has really in depth feature sets and can handle 1GB+ speeds and provide wifi 6. I'm a bit of a future proofer in that regard, and no money is not a problem. Anyways... So the Philips Hue A19 bulbs are the ones in question, 18 in total. I love these things with a passion because I have my house setup with Google Home and Nest products, simplicity and ease is what I crave. So when I got my new ISP and the problems began, yeah.. I did my research found the multiple different routes to go through and nothing worked so far. I just want to know if I need a new modem, router, bulbs or something.

I get an error message at times trying to rejoin my wifi and then trying to go about the setup a bit too fast. Gives me 3 ports, tried to port forward these ports. Failed, in fact it actually killed my internet as a whole doing so. Tried port forwarding some other ports for Minecraft and such, works just fine. I can't even began to fathom why that failed. Same settings, same IP used, internet dies if I use the 3 error message ports, no other case of it happening. I've tried the lights when they're turned on and off prior to the setup, while they're flashing blue-white and when they're flashing purple-white. Manual setup, multiple setup, 2.4G wifi, 5G wifi. Nothing. It just refuses to connect at all instances, I even had a Technician from Grande Communications come out and replace the Modem. We tried then and there, nada. Wiz spoke about DHCP settings needing to be enabled, I can't seem to locate that in my ARRIS 192.168.0.1 settings, considering everything else in my home including my Google Nest stuff is working fine. I can't imagine that to be the cause. Error in the bulbs is red-white, red-white, red-white pulse.

Here's the trippy part.. 2.4G Mobile hotspot on my phone turned on, use my wife's phone (exactly the same as mine) we both have an S10, and yet it just works. BUT the Wiz app doesn't give me any option in switching wifis. So if I have a light connected to my hotspot and I connect back to my wifi it's dead and gone. It doesn't allow me to reconnect the wifi unless I redo the entire setup process including deleteing the old lights. So setup with hotspot, works. Lose hotspot, lose control. Pictures are attached.

Should I give up on the nonsense and go to something else?
Are there better light bulbs out there in the USA that connect to Google Home and are color changing (RGB - I know, but I love the festiveness and the syncing to music)?
Is there a modem or router you know of that is DOCIS 3.1 and Wifi 6 capable with an amazing UI and able to handle 1GB speeds that you would recommend?

Information:
Bulb:
Philips Hue A19 - Wiz Connected
Error: Red-white, red-white, red-white

New ISP: Grande Communications
New Modem: ARRIS Model DG3450

Old ISP: Suddenlink
Old Modem: ARRIS Model DG3270A

Carrier: Verizon Wireless - 4G LTE Unlimited (Mobile Hotspot enabled)
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10

TLDR: Bulbs not working with app on wifi. Does work with hotspot, but drop the hotspot and no ability to change to wifi. Big oof. Please help. Philips hue A19, Wiz app, S10, Google Home, new ISP - Grande Communications, new modem.

pSXlS4X.jpg
soLKSu4.jpg
olfrnum.jpg
VhzAA6w.jpg
o5CyKmq.jpg
gDfhrC4.jpg
P5cSNfH.jpg
yWTB3nb.jpg

zV1d0Sr.jpg
fuF6MKp.jpg

Reactions: ted1972
The setup and issue are not very clear, is the issue the bulbs don't connect to the Wiz app on the phone? Why are you messing with opening ports for this? If your other devices are working fine on WiFi that means DHCP is already enabled on the modem/router you have.

All of your equipment needs to be on the same WiFi signal, go though the documentation of the bulbs to see if there is a reset you need to do on them so they can be setup as new. There may be an issue with the new modem/router you got and the bulbs, but Phillips support should be able to sort out if that issue is with that. You can try using the Arris you got from the new ISP as a Modem only and buy your own router, that would be something to try if nothing else works.

Last edited:

recordsrecorded

Reputable
Dec 27, 2018
What works is when I use my mobile hotspot as my wifi, connecting my lights with my wife's phone then works perfectly fine. BUT I can't change the wifi in the app, so the moment I drop the hotspot, all the lights are gone.

Bulbs refuse to connect on 2.4 and 5G. Tried manual and multiple pairing options, tried literally taking all the lights out and going one at a time. Nothing.

The port forwarding, I figured "Huh... so these are the ports it connects to. I wonder if I could forward these and make it work." I only found those ports because trying to setup my lights "too fast" for my phone to fully take wifi signal from my modem would give me that error message after having not been on wifi or switching witch signal I'm using. Port forwarding those ports for whatever reason knocked out my internet as a whole. Had to delete them and reset my router before I actually got internet back.

I've already talked to Philips Hue and Wiz, neither worked. Wiz constantly claimed the error was DHCP related, checked my modem settings, can't find anything specific relating to DHCP, checked through some sub menus, managed to find it. Enabled already.

Also I don't have any documentation on this whatsoever, I tossed the boxes long ago. Manual included.. Mostly with Wiz at least they claim to say "Never to hesitate with going to customer support." Well I didn't, and their response is DHCP and they're adamant. At this point I'm genuinely wondering if it's because my new modem is DOCIS 3.1 and not 3.0.

What works is when I use my mobile hotspot as my wifi, connecting my lights with my wife's phone then works perfectly fine. BUT I can't change the wifi in the app, so the moment I drop the hotspot, all the lights are gone.

Bulbs refuse to connect on 2.4 and 5G. Tried manual and multiple pairing options, tried literally taking all the lights out and going one at a time. Nothing.

The port forwarding, I figured "Huh... so these are the ports it connects to. I wonder if I could forward these and make it work." I only found those ports because trying to setup my lights "too fast" for my phone to fully take wifi signal from my modem would give me that error message after having not been on wifi or switching witch signal I'm using. Port forwarding those ports for whatever reason knocked out my internet as a whole. Had to delete them and reset my router before I actually got internet back.

I've already talked to Philips Hue and Wiz, neither worked. Wiz constantly claimed the error was DHCP related, checked my modem settings, can't find anything specific relating to DHCP, checked through some sub menus, managed to find it. Enabled already.

Also I don't have any documentation on this whatsoever, I tossed the boxes long ago. Manual included.. Mostly with Wiz at least they claim to say "Never to hesitate with going to customer support." Well I didn't, and their response is DHCP and they're adamant. At this point I'm genuinely wondering if it's because my new modem is DOCIS 3.1 and not 3.0.

Port forwarding is for outside access to your home network for traffic that uses those ports, not for internal things that are already on your network.

The DOCIS has nothing to do with this either, it's just the connection to your ISP. Your issue is fully internal between the bulbs, your WiFi hardware and the Wiz software. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

Since the bulbs connect to your phone, which gives them the IP setup and the network is run through the phone as the router, that shows the bulbs themselves work. Could be something incompatible between security settings on the WiFi options, or a chipset issue with the WiFi chip used in the modem/router.

kanewolf

Titan

I wonder if you are just running out of DHCP addresses. 18 bulbs plus other devices. You could have run into a too small DHCP range. Or an IP conflict of DHCP and static IPs.

recordsrecorded

Reputable
Dec 27, 2018
I wonder if you are just running out of DHCP addresses. 18 bulbs plus other devices. You could have run into a too small DHCP range. Or an IP conflict of DHCP and static IPs.
Apologies for late replies... Any way to fix that?

Port forwarding is for outside access to your home network for traffic that uses those ports, not for internal things that are already on your network.

The DOCIS has nothing to do with this either, it's just the connection to your ISP. Your issue is fully internal between the bulbs, your WiFi hardware and the Wiz software. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

Since the bulbs connect to your phone, which gives them the IP setup and the network is run through the phone as the router, that shows the bulbs themselves work. Could be something incompatible between security settings on the WiFi options, or a chipset issue with the WiFi chip used in the modem/router.

So then it is a modem based issue, got any recommendations?

kanewolf

Titan
You would have to first determine IF you have a DHCP range problem. Start by looking at the router GUI. It should identify what the range of DHCP addresses available. If it is 100 - 120 then that might be the problem. If it is 5 - 200 then that isn't the problem, but an IP address conflict could be.

Sep 15, 2021
The setup and issue are not very clear, is the issue the bulbs don't connect to the Wiz app on the phone? Why are you messing with opening ports for this? If your other devices are working fine on WiFi that means DHCP is already enabled on the modem/router you have.

All of your equipment needs to be on the same WiFi signal, go though the documentation of the bulbs to see if there is a reset you need to do on them so they can be setup as new. There may be an issue with the new modem/router you got and the bulbs, but Phillips support should be able to sort out if that issue is with that. You can try using the Arris you got from the new ISP as a Modem only and buy your own router, that would be something to try if nothing else works.
I've been on the phone, contacted customer support from Philips Hue and the Wiz app. No dice. I've had these bulbs for awhile now, well over a year. Old ISP was Suddenlink and they had their own modem on, bulbs worked fine. No issues at all, had to move, and as anyone in the USA knows the likelihood of keeping your ISP is next to null. My case no different, new ISP is Grande Communications and they installed their own modem. I do not personally have a modem to speak of nor a router, I am very well open to the idea of purchasing a new Modem if it's a last resort or frankly just one that has really in depth feature sets and can handle 1GB+ speeds and provide wifi 6. I'm a bit of a future proofer in that regard, and no money is not a problem. Anyways... So the Philips Hue A19 bulbs are the ones in question, 18 in total. I love these things with a passion because I have my house setup with Google Home and Nest products, simplicity and ease is what I crave. So when I got my new ISP and the problems began, yeah.. I did my research found the multiple different routes to go through and nothing worked so far. I just want to know if I need a new modem, router, bulbs or something.

I get an error message at times trying to rejoin my wifi and then trying to go about the setup a bit too fast. Gives me 3 ports, tried to port forward these ports. Failed, in fact it actually killed my internet as a whole doing so. Tried port forwarding some other ports for Minecraft and such, works just fine. I can't even began to fathom why that failed. Same settings, same IP used, internet dies if I use the 3 error message ports, no other case of it happening. I've tried the lights when they're turned on and off prior to the setup, while they're flashing blue-white and when they're flashing purple-white. Manual setup, multiple setup, 2.4G wifi, 5G wifi. Nothing. It just refuses to connect at all instances, I even had a Technician from Grande Communications come out and replace the Modem. We tried then and there, nada. Wiz spoke about DHCP settings needing to be enabled, I can't seem to locate that in my ARRIS 192.168.0.1 settings, considering everything else in my home including my Google Nest stuff is working fine. I can't imagine that to be the cause. Error in the bulbs is red-white, red-white, red-white pulse.

Here's the trippy part.. 2.4G Mobile hotspot on my phone turned on, use my wife's phone (exactly the same as mine) we both have an S10, and yet it just works. BUT the Wiz app doesn't give me any option in switching wifis. So if I have a light connected to my hotspot and I connect back to my wifi it's dead and gone. It doesn't allow me to reconnect the wifi unless I redo the entire setup process including deleteing the old lights. So setup with hotspot, works. Lose hotspot, lose control. Pictures are attached.

Should I give up on the nonsense and go to something else?
Are there better light bulbs out there in the USA that connect to Google Home and are color changing (RGB - I know, but I love the festiveness and the syncing to music)?
Is there a modem or router you know of that is DOCIS 3.1 and Wifi 6 capable with an amazing UI and able to handle 1GB speeds that you would recommend?

Information:
Bulb:
Philips Hue A19 - Wiz Connected
Error: Red-white, red-white, red-white

New ISP: Grande Communications
New Modem: ARRIS Model DG3450

Old ISP: Suddenlink
Old Modem: ARRIS Model DG3270A

Carrier: Verizon Wireless - 4G LTE Unlimited (Mobile Hotspot enabled)
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10

TLDR: Bulbs not working with app on wifi. Does work with hotspot, but drop the hotspot and no ability to change to wifi. Big oof. Please help. Philips hue A19, Wiz app, S10, Google Home, new ISP - Grande Communications, new modem.

pSXlS4X.jpg
soLKSu4.jpg
olfrnum.jpg
VhzAA6w.jpg
o5CyKmq.jpg
gDfhrC4.jpg
P5cSNfH.jpg
yWTB3nb.jpg

zV1d0Sr.jpg
fuF6MKp.jpg

So then it is a modem based issue, got any recommendations?
We need a CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST PHILIPS. the Philips A19 light bulbs that I purchased on Amazon in 2020 with my Alexa are wifi and not bluetooth. They were marketed/advertised as working with Alexa without needing a Philips bridge and only using wifi. However, this year 2021, Philips/Alexa stopped supporting the bulbs through wifi and now they just work as ordinary light bulbs.. Therefore, now they are NO longer supported for any commands unless you have a Hue Bridge.. Philips company has defaulted on its obligation to support the light bulb and they no longer function as advertised.. I think it's time to file a Classs Action suit against the company on behalf of all affected consumers.