Philips Launching 2-in-1 Monitor This Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh... not something I'm interested in, but very interesting nonetheless. I could see this becoming very popular as an office monitor, because there's only a single stand and thus a much smaller footprint.

jdon

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
Actually, gnarr, they look like either 4:3 ratio or 5:4... assuming the target audience would want at least 1600x1200, I'd guess 4:3, so 8:3 would make this a ~32.5" monitor. If I didn't have to sign in, my comment TOTALLY would have beat yours to post. :)

jdon

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
Sorry for double comment, but I can't not say it: No gamer would want this for single player fullscreen anything. 7mm worth of bezel right in the middle is bad for just about anything but non-character-centric TBS/RTS (CivV? SC2?). "virtually" seamless isn't seamless as far as crosshairs are concerned.

TerryFawkes

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
as long as they are stated that the base configuration is following the real official UHD-1 10bitpp/12bitpp 16:9 Rec2020 3840x2160 pixels. Frame rate: 50fps "full UHD" then fine, im interested.

if its more of the pseudocolor 8bitpp "UHD ready" CRAP forget it, they might make it ,im not buying though.

Maver1ck

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Seems pretty useless.. cmon, 19 inch? Such combination of 27" or 30" displays would be great but 19".. don't see the point

f-14

Distinguished
Sorry for double comment, but I can't not say it: No gamer would want this for single player fullscreen anything. 7mm worth of bezel right in the middle is bad for just about anything but non-character-centric TBS/RTS (CivV? SC2?). "virtually" seamless isn't seamless as far as crosshairs are concerned.

guess you've never flown in an F-106 Delta have you? you have a great big 2 inch split right in the middle of your cock pit. bet you think " no air force in the world would want that you wouldn't be able to see the cross hair " racing games would also be great. this isn't being marketed towards gamers any ways, it's philips, this would be a business monitor at best, they don't make gaming gear. still this would be great for RTS, MMORPG, Simulator (especially flight sims), and racing games. just not first person shooters. it's a sad world when some one who only plays first person shooters says something like this, they're missing out on so many other joys in the gaming world.

f-14

Distinguished

guess you've never flown in an F-106 Delta have you? you have a great big 2 inch split right in the middle of your cock pit. bet you think " no air force in the world would want that you wouldn't be able to see the cross hair " racing games would also be great. this isn't being marketed towards gamers any ways, it's philips, this would be a business monitor at best, they don't make gaming gear. still this would be great for RTS, MMORPG, Simulator (especially flight sims), and racing games. just not first person shooters. it's a sad world when some one who only plays first person shooters says something like this, they're missing out on so many other joys in the gaming world.

It seems like you may have made an account just to post this comment, which means that it really got you riled up.

All I can say is that you should chill out. Instead of making assumptions about one person's gaming habits and then accusing them of being ignorant, I strongly suggest that you realize that it doesn't bloody matter.

I highly, HIGHLY disagree with you on most of your points. If you have ever flown an airplane, you would know that the seam in a cockpit doesn't matter, because you're seated in such a way as for that seam to be as unobtrusive as possible... and if it does get in your way, then guess what, you can move your head.

Show me even a highly advanced racing sim of any sort which lets you do that.

Or show me an MMORPG in which your character, or your UI, isn't in the middle of the screen, splitting it in two across the bezel and making it incredibly frustrating to try to play the game.

I can't think of very many games at all that I would possibly consider playing on a monitor like this, and it's just ridiculous to attack someone just for saying that the bezels would be annoying. (And that's coming from someone who can't imaging using a computer without two monitors... just not for gaming.)

It seems like you may have made an account just to post this comment, which means that it really got you riled up.

All I can say is that you should chill out. Instead of making assumptions about one person's gaming habits and then accusing them of being ignorant, I strongly suggest that you realize that it doesn't bloody matter.

I highly, HIGHLY disagree with you on most of your points. If you have ever flown an airplane, you would know that the seam in a cockpit doesn't matter, because you're seated in such a way as for that seam to be as unobtrusive as possible... and if it does get in your way, then guess what, you can move your head.

Show me even a highly advanced racing sim of any sort which lets you do that.

Or show me an MMORPG in which your character, or your UI, isn't in the middle of the screen, splitting it in two across the bezel and making it incredibly frustrating to try to play the game.

I can't think of very many games at all that I would possibly consider playing on a monitor like this, and it's just ridiculous to attack someone just for saying that the bezels would be annoying. (And that's coming from someone who can't imaging using a computer without two monitors... just not for gaming.)

ohh you got burned f-14

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Actually they're both idiots since they started and continued an argument about the gaming merits of this productivity monitor....this is made by Philips. They aren't exactly known for producing gaming-oriented displays, and this never mentioned being targeted for gamers, so why get worked up over it in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.