Question Philips monitor no freesync or sound

Apr 13, 2020
I have a Philips 246e9q monitor and a Radeon r7 200 series graphics card. I tried to turn on freesync in Radeon settings but it says you need a compatible display. I am running 1920x1080 @75 hz. I know for sure my display is compatible (it has freesync stickers on the box and the monitor itself), and I thought that my gpu is freesync compatible. I am using HDMI 1.4, is that a problem? I looked in the monitor settings for something along the lines of freesync or adaptive sync, but found nothing. In Philips smart image, I tried using gamer mode 1 and 2, those didnt activate it either. Also, there is no audio output through hdmi, so I have to use headphones all the time. I have Realtek audio console open and it doesn't list HDMI as an output. Is this because my HDMI cable is plugged into the gpu? In the sound icon on the botom right of the task bar, there are multiple outputs. I have clicked the HDMI output and put it on full volume but there is no sound output. I am also pretty sure my monitor has speakers, since there are volume and mute options in the monitor settings. the Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just built a new system and once these 2 problems are fixed I am good to go as I only play low demanding games (valorant rn). Anything else would blow up my graphics card. I need a new one. ( I had to use an old gpu cus ya know, the prices for an rx 580 or 5500 are too high)

EDIT: when i plug in headphones to the audio jack on back of monitor, I am getting audio. Does this mean I don't have speakers on the monitor?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Pertaining to your GPU + Freesync, might want to read through this.

Does this mean I don't have speakers on the monitor?
If the audio comes when you plug in a headset/earphone to it then yes it's possible that your SKU doesn't have speakers on it. Might want to look at the sticker behind the monitor and see what the SKU says.

As for your GPU, 200 series is a generic number, which R7 card do you have specifically? On another note, what is the make and model of your PSU and it's age?

Reactions: theoneblueone
Apr 13, 2020
It is an asus card, going into task manager and radeon settings only yields the name "radeon r7 200 series". very helpful. Looking at the graphics card skus and stuff (this card is from an old prebuilt), it has hd8570 or somethin all over it. Does this mean it isn't an r7? I have attached images with the skus. As for the PSU, it is an evga 450 bronze, bought like a month ago for my build.

Looking at the monitor sku, it does seem like that there are no built in speakers.

Preview attachment IMG-0107.jpg
IMG-0107.jpg
2.5 MB

Preview attachment IMG-0108.jpg
IMG-0108.jpg
2.2 MB

Last edited: