News Phison CEO Expects PCIe 5 SSD Market to Remain Niche Until 2024

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I'm going to put my Old-Codger-Headpiece on ...

PCIe 5 has little reason to exist for everyday people like us, either this year or next. PCIe 3 storage is completely and totally sufficient for the enormous majority of consumer workloads, and will be for quite some time I suspect.

This might not be a popular opinion around here, but that doesn't make it not true.

Reactions: Phaaze88

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
I can assure him that if there are no Gen 5 SSDs to purchase then PCIe 5 SSDs will certainly be a niche market for a long time. The SSD folks really did a cluster on the Gen 5 SSDs that were all going to be available in the marketplace last Oct.

donner

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I'm going to put my Old-Codger-Headpiece on ...

PCIe 5 has little reason to exist for everyday people like us, either this year or next. PCIe 3 storage is completely and totally sufficient for the enormous majority of consumer workloads, and will be for quite some time I suspect.

This might not be a popular opinion around here, but that doesn't make it not true.

I think where PCIE5 should be good for everyday people in the near future is not the single PCIE5 x4 M.2 slot, but dual PCIE5 x2 M.2 slots and presumably lower cost PCIE5 x2 SSDs for more fast storage vs less super fast storage.

InvalidError

Titan
I think where PCIE5 should be good for everyday people in the near future is not the single PCIE5 x4 M.2 slot, but dual PCIE5 x2 M.2 slots and presumably lower cost PCIE5 x2 SSDs for more fast storage vs less super fast storage.
I was about to write almost exactly the same thing.

This also falls almost directly in line with my wish for a PCIe successor to SATA with integrated data+power for wired internal high-speed devices. Having all storage lay flat on the motherboard isn't practical beyond 2-3 SSDs and at x4 a pop, it is ridiculously tough on the PCIe budget on mainstream platforms too. With a wired x4 interface, you get to pick 4x1, 2x2, 1x2+2x1 or 1x4 break-out depending on what you need.