News Phison: Enthusiast PCIe 5.0 SSDs Will Require Active Cooling

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Active cooling will be required for high-performance PCIe 5.0 SSDs, as other drives will get hotter.
This is supposed to say the NAND ICs, right?
["But the problem is that at 120 degrees Celsius the controller heats the 3D NAND ICs, and they become much less reliable at temperatures of 75 degrees Celsius and above."]

InvalidError

Titan
The other obvious option: wait for the 2nd or 3rd-generation PCIe 5.0 controllers that will likely be far more power-efficient and run that much cooler.

Right now, there is almost no meaningful difference between a good SATA SSD and the fastest NVMes currently available for most everyday uses besides massive file copying, especially when you have enough RAM to keep working data cached, so there is no need to rush to replace your current 3.0x4 or 4.0x4 NVMe SSD.

Last edited:

Geef

Distinguished
A fan that small will most definitely make noise you don't want. Just having the extra metal from the cooler without a fan in the middle of the case would work well. Most cases have good airflow anyway.

Reactions: Why_Me

InvalidError

Titan
A fan that small will most definitely make noise you don't want. Just having the extra metal from the cooler without a fan in the middle of the case would work well. Most cases have good airflow anyway.
The 5.0x4 slot would be either under the GPU HSF or squeezed between the CPU HSF and GPU backplate due to trace length limitations at least without PCIe 5.0 re-timers, two of the worst possible locations for airflow no matter how good the case ventilation may be overall.

D

Deleted member 14196

So this is a completely stupid and unusable product. Got it.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
At this point,
Higher CPU power requirements - Checked
Higher MOBO power requirements - Checked
Higher GPU power requirements - Checked
High SSD power requirements - Checked
Potentially higher DDR5 power requirements as we start pushing clockspeed upwards. In summary, the system is getting quite substantially more power hungry and hot. The future of PCs seems to be trending towards an ”eco-unfriendly” space heater.

InvalidError

Titan
Potentially higher DDR5 power requirements as we start pushing clockspeed upwards. In summary, the system is getting quite substantially more power hungry and hot. The future of PCs seems to be trending towards an ”eco-unfriendly” space heater.
The bleeding-edge has been a power hog ever since parts capable of blowing total system power past 500W have become available. 500W GPUs aren't exactly new, they just used to be SLI/CF-on-a-card type monstrosities instead of single GPUs.

If you go the other way, as in looking into the comfortably viable average office, point-of-sale and other everyday use computers, many of those are being replaced by smartphones, tablets, handhelds, laptops and other low-power devices. Heaps of everyday compute is actually getting far more power-efficient.

One thing to make sure to keep in mind is that if you need 30% more power for 100% more performance, you still have 50% better overall performance per watt, which means efficiency is technically still improving nicely.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Wait.. the m.2 screw is a significant contributor to heat dissipation?! The controller is all the way at the other end and even the NAND packages aren't close enough to benefit as far as I can imagine.

What am I failing to grasp here?

InvalidError

Titan
Wait.. the m.2 screw is a significant contributor to heat dissipation?!
If you have enough copper in the PCB, especially mostly uninterrupted power and ground layers, thermal conductivity of the PCB itself can be pretty good. Modern motherboards have 6-8 copper layers to accommodate high power CPUs and high-speed interfaces, so motherboard thermal conductivity should also be decent.

Since the two most common locations for the primary NVMe slot are where little to no airflow is usually available, I can imagine the M.2 screw sinking heat into the motherboard becoming a non-negligible cooling factor when board components operate at temperatures near 70C.

InvalidError

Titan
The GPU in the GPU slot next to the SSD wants to speak to you.
Only fits on motherboards where the primary M.2 slot is above the x16 slot otherwise it will interfere with just about every GPU ever created that requires anything beyond single-slot cooling, only if you use liquid cooling or a tower HSF mounted parallel to the GPU as the fins and fans may otherwise interfere too. (Though this orientation may interfere with DDR slots.)

Not very practical. You basically have to engineer your whole system around fitting one of these in there.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Why does everyone who reads about newer products producing more heat always assume that the system will be running at 100% speed of the CPU, GPU, storage, and memory all the time? If you run AIDA64 stability test without starting it up, it is amazing to see how little time the computer runs at any sort of peak performance, even during heavy professional workloads or the latest AAA games. Just because the fans start to whine when benchmarking does not mean that you own a "space heater"!

InvalidError

Titan
Why does everyone who reads about newer products producing more heat always assume that the system will be running at 100% speed of the CPU, GPU, storage, and memory all the time?
If you don't need a significant chunk of the additional performance a significant fraction of the time where all of the extra heat may become a concern, then you didn't need the hot bleeding-edge stuff in the first place.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
sounds stinky. The only reason I switched to my 970 evo was cause cables. Sata feels the same in general stuff and I honestly think pcie4 came and went too fast compared to others

InvalidError

Titan
I honestly think pcie4 came and went too fast compared to others
The main reason PCIe 4.0 came and went so quickly is simply because PCIe 3.0 stuck around for too long from a relative lack of need for most of the last 10 years. Then NVMe SSDs came along, crashed in prices with many NVMe SSDs being cheaper than their nearest equivalent SATA counterparts, gained massive adoption in the server space where 4.0 was too little too late and here we are, rushing to 5.0.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Why does everyone who reads about newer products producing more heat always assume that the system will be running at 100% speed of the CPU, GPU, storage, and memory all the time? If you run AIDA64 stability test without starting it up, it is amazing to see how little time the computer runs at any sort of peak performance, even during heavy professional workloads or the latest AAA games. Just because the fans start to whine when benchmarking does not mean that you own a "space heater"!
You're right. However, you left out the part that the people most often complaining are using 3+ year old midrange components and were never in the market for such high end components in the first place.

If you don't need a significant chunk of the additional performance a significant fraction of the time where all of the extra heat may become a concern, then you didn't need the hot bleeding-edge stuff in the first place.
You're also right, but enthusiasts don't buy based on need. Who cares if I don't need everything to be halo level, just look at my sweet message board signature. Seeing you jelly makes all the money spent worthwhile.

InvalidError

Titan
You're also right, but enthusiasts don't buy based on need. Who cares if I don't need everything to be halo level, just look at my sweet message board signature. Seeing you jelly makes all the money spent worthwhile.
Being at the bleeding edge is a bit like being a beta-tester for things that aren't quite ripe for the mainstream.

Higher-end mainstream platforms got PCIe 4.0 a few years ago with Zen 2 and its power-hungry X570 chipset, now we have more efficient PCIe 4.0 implementations that no longer requires active chipset cooling for the mainstream.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Being at the bleeding edge is a bit like being a beta-tester for things that aren't quite ripe for the mainstream.

Higher-end mainstream platforms got PCIe 4.0 a few years ago with Zen 2 and its power-hungry X570 chipset, now we have more efficient PCIe 4.0 implementations that no longer requires active chipset cooling for the mainstream.
Pretty much. Next public hardware beta is the 3090Ti. There were rumors that it would be PCIe 5.0. It appears AIB cards aren't, but still a chance Nvidia's FE model could be. It does have the new PCIe Gen5 16 pin power connector, a tidy 450W TDP, and 21Gbps GDDR6X. All precursors to what Ada is likely to have.