ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
Hello,

On Christmas, I got a new iPhone 8. And i have been charging it in the morning and i let it charge to about 85 percent, and then i unplug it at about 30 or 28 percent. It varies sometimes though. I have heard this is good for the battery life and cycle. I also heard that it is good to let the iPhone completely die to 0 percent then charge to 100. I am scared of doing this becuase i feel it will affect the battery and worsen it. Also should i stick to what I am doing with my charging and battery?
Thanks,
Ryan

Solution
You'll get as many different opinions as there are stars in the sky.

Let it deplete to 0% before charging? No

Put it on a charger at ~30% and take off at ~80%? Sure. This is related to stress on the battery, with the 80% primarily related to heat which is Enemy #1 of lithium ion batteries in normal circumstances. In other words, water, fire, a deftly swung hammer - also enemies but not in a typical day.

Charge to 100%? The issue is when a device reaches 100% and then stays on a charger. Heat builds up and that's not good for a battery (see above). There are opinions that iPhones have circuitry to stop charging at 100% but that's not something I've ever seen Apple say. Say it's the truth, then as we all know standby uses battery so...

gmagdna

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018

Put it on a charger at ~30% and take off at ~80%? Sure. This is related to stress on the battery, with the 80% primarily related to heat which is Enemy #1 of lithium ion batteries in normal circumstances. In other words, water, fire, a deftly swung hammer - also enemies but not in a typical day.

Charge to 100%? The issue is when a device reaches 100% and then stays on a charger. Heat builds up and that's not good for a battery (see above). There are opinions that iPhones have circuitry to stop charging at 100% but that's not something I've ever seen Apple say. Say it's the truth, then as we all know standby uses battery so Apple's wondrous circuitry stops the charge at 100%, 3 seconds, 2 minutes, whatever time later the battery drops to 99.9% - oops gotta charge that rascal again. Rinse and repeat until you wake at noon after your bender the night before resulting in 12 hours of sleep.

Apples Battery Optimization setting is a bit of a hit and miss in user experience in that a lot of people report it doesn't work. It does require three Location settings to be enabled and those are ones most people don't want on. The reason being Optimization is intended for when you are in the location where you spend most of your time. id the particular Location services are not on then the device can;t figure out where you are to know if it should Optimization.

Solution

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017

Charge to 100%? The issue is when a device reaches 100% and then stays on a charger. Heat builds up and that's not good for a battery (see above). There are opinions that iPhones have circuitry to stop charging at 100% but that's not something I've ever seen Apple say. Say it's the truth, then as we all know standby uses battery so Apple's wondrous circuitry stops the charge at 100%, 3 seconds, 2 minutes, whatever time later the battery drops to 99.9% - oops gotta charge that rascal again. Rinse and repeat until you wake at noon after your bender the night before resulting in 12 hours of sleep.

Apples Battery Optimization setting is a bit of a hit and miss in user experience in that a lot of people report it doesn't work. It does require three Location settings to be enabled and those are ones most people don't want on. The reason being Optimization is intended for when you are in the location where you spend most of your time. id the particular Location services are not on then the device can;t figure out where you are to know if it should Optimization.
Thanks