Question Phone over long range bridge

Mar 11, 2019
I am trying to get a phone line out to a barn to connect to a utility meter that is owned by the local power company that monitors the production of a solar array that exports to the grid. I have already installed engenius bridges from one barn that houses the modem, router and available receptacles to give communications to the inverters but I cannot for the life of me get a stable voip number out of the other end. I have tried a magic jack, a google obi box with a google voice number and the obi box with a secondary voip service. I can get all of them to work intermittently but throughout the day, they all fail at some point and will not reconnect unless someone goes and manually resets them. The ISP is optimum / altice and has rj11 ports for a phone line connection. Is there any way to just pass that phone line over the bridges and use a rj45 > rj11 adapter or something to provide an optimum phone line over the bridges to the other building instead of trying to get a voip box to stay connected?

Both barns are not heated and while the electronics are not physically subjected to the elements, it seems that something out of the voip boxes, ethernet switches, modem and router are struggling when the temperatures hit single digits causing the signal to drop and disconnecting the voip line. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better solution?

I really don't know on this one especially if is disconnecting with the phone not active on a call. Most times that is using SIP protocol and the end stations just reconnect if the session drops. If your call itself is dropping you could try to use a codec that does not compress the data as much. Those tolerate loss much better because they have more to begin with g.711 is a low compression but still only uses 64kbps. It is what phone companies used for years

Mar 11, 2019
I really don't know on this one especially if is disconnecting with the phone not active on a call. Most times that is using SIP protocol and the end stations just reconnect if the session drops. If your call itself is dropping you could try to use a codec that does not compress the data as much. Those tolerate loss much better because they have more to begin with g.711 is a low compression but still only uses 64kbps. It is what phone companies used for years

Yeah for some reason both voip boxes lose their connection and need to be unplugged and rebooted for them to connect to the bridge again. Does anyone know of a voip box or dongle that is able to be reset through a web interface without having to physically go out to the site and unplug it?

TRENDING THREADS