Question Phone & SMS software

irishbiker

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Hi all

I've just bought a T460s and installed a WAN card. My plan has unlimited data, calls and texts. Is there any software out there can allow me to use my laptop to answer/ make calls and text via my sim?

D

Deleted member 14196

This can also be manipulated from office documents using VBA and .net and has a com interface of course So you can write automation software for it

irishbiker

Commendable
May 25, 2016

This can also be manipulated from office documents using VBA and .net and has a com interface of course So you can write automation software for it

Thanks for the reply, but just to be clear the sim is installed in my laptop, is not connected to my phone

You have all kinds of issues here. First there is no standard phone or mobile broadband methods. This is why you see terms like 3g or 4g or LTE. It is extremely hard to get a device that will have the radio equipment to be compatible with all systems. This is why most times you use external modems that are matched to the carrier. The sims maybe standard but the radios and data methods are not.

In addition when you talk phone calls they use completely different radio chips and frequencies. Your laptop like most data only devices likely does not contain them. Systems that use CDMA rather than GSM do not even really use sim chips the function is still built into the cdma chips.

You only real option is to go to data based VoIP app. There are many but one of the common ones you used to see was magicjack This is just a example there are likely better options. It is not used much because data is seldom really unlimited so it tends to be used more over wifi than over mobile data.

I am somewhat surprised you even got that to work at all. The phone companies are not stupid and they sell data only plans for much much more than plans they sell for phones. They even have plans that cost different that run on basic phones compared to high end phones because the high end devices can use more data. They can't be dumb enough to let people buy a $10/month plan designed for small devices which can't use much data and put it in a high end phone to avoid the $50/month charge. It is extremely rare to find a unlimited plan on data only devices. They know people can use these on pc and download many 100s or gigbytes per month.

Be very careful the fine print in their contract may say they do not prevent you from doing this but you agree to pay a different data rate when you do this. You may get a large unexpected bill at the end of the month.

irishbiker

Commendable
May 25, 2016
You have all kinds of issues here. First there is no standard phone or mobile broadband methods. This is why you see terms like 3g or 4g or LTE. It is extremely hard to get a device that will have the radio equipment to be compatible with all systems. This is why most times you use external modems that are matched to the carrier. The sims maybe standard but the radios and data methods are not.

In addition when you talk phone calls they use completely different radio chips and frequencies. Your laptop like most data only devices likely does not contain them. Systems that use CDMA rather than GSM do not even really use sim chips the function is still built into the cdma chips.

You only real option is to go to data based VoIP app. There are many but one of the common ones you used to see was magicjack This is just a example there are likely better options. It is not used much because data is seldom really unlimited so it tends to be used more over wifi than over mobile data.

I am somewhat surprised you even got that to work at all. The phone companies are not stupid and they sell data only plans for much much more than plans they sell for phones. They even have plans that cost different that run on basic phones compared to high end phones because the high end devices can use more data. They can't be dumb enough to let people buy a $10/month plan designed for small devices which can't use much data and put it in a high end phone to avoid the $50/month charge. It is extremely rare to find a unlimited plan on data only devices. They know people can use these on pc and download many 100s or gigbytes per month.

Be very careful the fine print in their contract may say they do not prevent you from doing this but you agree to pay a different data rate when you do this. You may get a large unexpected bill at the end of the month.

Thanks for the update, I was just wondering if it was possible. I have a Huawei B593 which I can hang a handset off. I can access the SMS messages via the browser. It would be nice to have it all on the laptop.

Not all Countries are the same. Here in the UK I have a sim only deal that not only gives me unlimited calls, texts but also allows unlimited data with tethering. They are happy for me to use the sim in my laptop.

Tell them to come to the USA and offer service.....I know of a couple people that were complaining that some new game is 60gbyte download and it was going to blow their cap on their normal internet. I am sure the kids would running torrents on it 24x7 here if there was no cap.

It is strange they used to have unlimited plans on phones themselves and then people started doing stuff like watch 4k netflix so they change the "unlimited" plans on the high end phones.

Your problem though is pretty common it is why there really is no phone that can run on every carrier worldwide. Apple comes the close but even they have different models for some markets.