[SOLVED] Phone stuck at Brand Logo, need to recover data

nufrit.488

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
Hello good fellows of the forum,

I got a phone that is branded Casper but the phone is Gionee A1, but Casper company made little changes and released it in Turkey, anyways fast forward to last month, i casually turned off my phone to let it fully charge, then when i tried to turn it on it stuck at brand logo. I tried to go safe mode but it won't work (turning off and pressing volume down). Then i tried to wipe cache, but I don't want to wipe to factory cuz I need to recover all the data, it holds 5 years of my life, full of memories and things like that, i don't wanna lose all of them. And an additional info, i never turned on android debugging... Is there a way around, can you help me ?

Solution
Well guys, thanks for your replies from the beginning, i solved the problem.

I think the issue was static charge, I was just wondering what can i do with that phone and tried various things, and as most of you know when your PC doesn't start you just unplug the psu and press the power button, i did the same thing with my phone, unplugged the battery socket, pressed power button for a while, then unplugged the charging socket, did the same power button thing, then re-assembled everything, and it is just working, first thing i did was turning on android debugging and backing up all of my data, i was in tears LOL, saved all of my memories :p Happy!!

Sagar_20

Distinguished
What is soft brick?

Soft brick is the state of android device due to some software problems like bootloops or device freezing at some point during boot. This may occur if some software problem occurred in the device mainly during OS upgrade or flashing something such as a custom ROM, camera mod or app in your custom recovery mode. A soft-bricked device is only half-dead. Because of this, your device is not booting anymore or is constantly crashing but can be recognised by a computer. When your phone is soft brick, don't be panic. You can revive your Android device as long as it is only soft-bricked. The basic solution for this issue is flashing a clean and working version of Android to your device. While, during this process, you may need to restore a backup, flash a custom ROM or stock images to your device.

---------------------------------
If you're not able to get inside the Operating system, there is no way you can recover your data, doesn't matter usb debugging enabled or not.

NOTE:
Before trying to update the OS on any smartphone, always take backup.

nufrit.488

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
What is soft brick?

Soft brick is the state of android device due to some software problems like bootloops or device freezing at some point during boot. This may occur if some software problem occurred in the device mainly during OS upgrade or flashing something such as a custom ROM, camera mod or app in your custom recovery mode. A soft-bricked device is only half-dead. Because of this, your device is not booting anymore or is constantly crashing but can be recognised by a computer. When your phone is soft brick, don't be panic. You can revive your Android device as long as it is only soft-bricked. The basic solution for this issue is flashing a clean and working version of Android to your device. While, during this process, you may need to restore a backup, flash a custom ROM or stock images to your device.

---------------------------------
If you're not able to get inside the Operating system, there is no way you can recover your data, doesn't matter usb debugging enabled or not.

NOTE:
Before trying to update the OS on any smartphone, always take backup.

Well i did a little research and found out the MTK processors flashing softwares are wiping all the data, guess ill have to wait for my paycheck and buy a 128gb sdcard then use the "backup" selection at recovery screen, maybe this would help.

but still looking for solutions, don't want to waste money since electronics are expensive in my country.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Is the battery removable in this particular device? If so, I would suggest removing it, waiting a few moments, putting it back in and trying to boot again.

I have seen a few instances where this has caused a boot loop to stop looping.

And not to rub salt in a wound, but this is another teachable moment about backups. Smartphones are nothing but microcomputers with a phone feature. They are as subject, probably more subject, to failures where you have no access (including loss or theft). It is imperative to have a backup protocol to an external device (even if that means to the SD card and then copying that backup to your computer) and to take backups routinely.

nufrit.488

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
Is the battery removable in this particular device? If so, I would suggest removing it, waiting a few moments, putting it back in and trying to boot again.

I have seen a few instances where this has caused a boot loop to stop looping.

And not to rub salt in a wound, but this is another teachable moment about backups. Smartphones are nothing but microcomputers with a phone feature. They are as subject, probably more subject, to failures where you have no access (including loss or theft). It is imperative to have a backup protocol to an external device (even if that means to the SD card and then copying that backup to your computer) and to take backups routinely.

Yes, i have done this suggestion tho, but i really got my lesson here...

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Hello good fellows of the forum,

I got a phone that is branded Casper but the phone is Gionee A1, but Casper company made little changes and released it in Turkey, anyways fast forward to last month, i casually turned off my phone to let it fully charge, then when i tried to turn it on it stuck at brand logo. I tried to go safe mode but it won't work (turning off and pressing volume down). Then i tried to wipe cache, but I don't want to wipe to factory cuz I need to recover all the data, it holds 5 years of my life, full of memories and things like that, i don't wanna lose all of them. And an additional info, i never turned on android debugging... Is there a way around, can you help me ?
If a Cache reset did nothing then you would have to flash the device, the problem is finding the exact image. The phone may be a Gionee A1 but the image may be custom to the brand it's sold under.

I would check with the Company the device is sold under and see what help they can provide, finding a Gionee A1 image isn't all that hard but under a different name that is region-specific, that is much harder especially if your not in that region.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
If a Cache reset did nothing then you would have to flash the device, the problem is finding the exact image.

That still doesn't get the OP what they wanted most: their data off of the device.

I can find software that claims to make this possible, e.g., https://www.androiddata-recovery.com/blog/retrieve-android-data-without-usb-debugging , but have absolutely no experience with same.

I know that you can get data recovered from professional services, and they definitely have to have some way in to get it.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
That still doesn't get the OP what they wanted most: their data off of the device.

I can find software that claims to make this possible, e.g., https://www.androiddata-recovery.com/blog/retrieve-android-data-without-usb-debugging , but have absolutely no experience with same.

I know that you can get data recovered from professional services, and they definitely have to have some way in to get it.

If you knew anything about flashing you would know that personal data is in a separate location and not remove unless you want it to be. :whistle: The stock MD5 file or the flash update would fix the boot problem without removing anything he wants to keep.

Can you pay for software to retrieve your info without flashing? Well yes by root which means they need a custom file to do so which is not always 100% successful but for $80+ you can attempt it. With ADB debugging off you have two options, flash or root. Root requires a custom image for that device which means that they might not have one for your exact phone because Android is 100,000+ phones whereas IOS is less than 100.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Well, any time I have either flashed a custom ROM or re-flashed a stock ROM the devices were wiped clean for all practical intents and purposes.

There may be a way to get at the user data that was on the device after flashing, but it is non-trivial for the average user and even the sophisticated user (which I am, but I do not understand Android internals anywhere near as well as I do Windows, for example).

nufrit.488

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
Well guys, thanks for your replies from the beginning, i solved the problem.

I think the issue was static charge, I was just wondering what can i do with that phone and tried various things, and as most of you know when your PC doesn't start you just unplug the psu and press the power button, i did the same thing with my phone, unplugged the battery socket, pressed power button for a while, then unplugged the charging socket, did the same power button thing, then re-assembled everything, and it is just working, first thing i did was turning on android debugging and backing up all of my data, i was in tears LOL, saved all of my memories :p Happy!!

Solution

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Glad to hear a happy ending has occurred.

I would suggest doing ongoing backups as you acquire new data you would not want to lose. My experience is that once these sorts of behaviors begin to exhibit themselves they are seldom gone for good.

Starting a search for a new device just so you know what your options are should you need to get a new one wouldn't be a bad idea, either.