[SOLVED] Phone Tethering Ethernet Adapter As Failover

Witterings

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2016
The landline / ADSL is so unreliable here and looking at failover alternatives I just noticed my mobile phone has an ethernet tethering option using a USB adapter.

If I just take the RJ45 from my router that plugs into the ADSL modem and plug it into an adapter connected to the phone instead, will any router work and just see it as a modem and connect to the internet or does it have to be a router that's specifically designed with a USB slot and 3/4G failover ability built in?

Last edited:
Solution
What do you mean a "adapter". If you mean a USB ethernet adapter you would use say on a pc that has a broken port then no that will not work.

The problem is the phone does not have a driver to run the adapter and you can't just load them like you do a PC. Even then I am not sure the tethering function would work over that.

So first would be to be sure you can actually get the tethering to work directly hooking a phone to a PC via USB. Some phones prevent tethering unless you have it activated on your account with the ISP.

So after that you need a router that will accept a phone as a tethered connection. I have not looked at this in a long while there were many restriction into which exact phones work. I mean you have...

kanewolf

Titan
The landline / ADSL is so unreliable here and looking at failover alternatives I just noticed my mobile phone has an ethernet tethering option using a USB adapter.

If I just take the RJ45 from my router that plugs into the ADSL modem and plug it into an adapter connected to the phone instead, will any router work and just see it as a modem and connect to the internet or does it have to be a router that's specifically designed with a USB slot and 3/4G failover ability built in?
Ethernet is the same. The phone may only provide an IPv6 address. You would need a router that supports IPv6 on the WAN.

Reactions: Witterings
What do you mean a "adapter". If you mean a USB ethernet adapter you would use say on a pc that has a broken port then no that will not work.

The problem is the phone does not have a driver to run the adapter and you can't just load them like you do a PC. Even then I am not sure the tethering function would work over that.

So first would be to be sure you can actually get the tethering to work directly hooking a phone to a PC via USB. Some phones prevent tethering unless you have it activated on your account with the ISP.

So after that you need a router that will accept a phone as a tethered connection. I have not looked at this in a long while there were many restriction into which exact phones work. I mean you have apple stuff and all kinds of different android phones. The routers need special firmware to talk to phones via USB tethering.

Your best option is going to be asus routers they have the best factory support for this kind of function. You need to read their manuals to see what works. I know they list 3g/4g usb modems that work (even these not all work), they should have a list of phones that work. Your other option would be to load dd-wrt onto a router. They have more support than factory images but you still must check not all device work. The device manufacture has to provide certain information and some refuse.

This is not a easy thing to do with a phone. A USB modem has a much better chance.

Maybe first just try to do it manually. I am pretty sure if you connect both the DSL and USB tether to your pc it will prefer the ethernet connection and if you unplug it will switch to the USB tethered.

Solution

Witterings

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2016
Yes I did mean adapter as you say, just a USB C to Ethernet and the phone does seem to offer that as an option although it's greyed out saying there's nothing connected.

It is an Asus router I'm looking at and I believe it does have the option of tethering a phone via a USB port, there are 2 available but in an ideal world I'd like to use one to share a USB printer and the other to attach a network storage device hence why looking at whether I could attach via the WAN port.

Any idea if I bought a MiFi box if it could be done with that instead?

TRENDING THREADS