Phone wifi is faster than pc???

cormacyawl96

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
Im paying for 100mbps and on my phone i always pull about 80-90mbps all the time but as soon as i go onto my pc i am getting about 9 at max! Why is this? i am using a adapter and the signal is very strong. Anybody know why or anything i can do to fix this?

Im with vodafone and the model is a HG658c
Not sure what model the adapter is but its a tp-link

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Depending on how old the adapter is, it might not support the newest wifi standards and therefore be slower.

I'd still try updating soft- & firmware though, sometimes actually helps.

cormacyawl96

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

just updated it now and im still getting the same results. The adapter is pretty new says on the side of it that it supports up to 600mbps

It would help a bit to know the hardware. We have the model number on your router/modem. What about the adapter and phone?

On my computer, when I pull up the connection status (Control Panel->Network and Sharing->Change adapter settings->right click on wifi->status) it gives me the link speed. What is your link speed?

cormacyawl96

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

not sure about the adapter but my phone is a galaxy s6
can send u a link for imgur of a screenshot i took just now https://i.imgur.com/Hs4XqTk.png

A wired connection? I assume everyone here was thinking you were talking about wifi vs wifi.

So, the question "Why is my wifi faster than my ethernet?" is far more common that I would expect. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be one answer for everyone. Sometimes the issue is on the computer side (drivers usually), sometimes it is the ports or the cable, and sometimes the issue is on the router side (firmware and resets have fixed this). And sometimes it has to do with settings on your computer or your router.

cormacyawl96

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

well i use wifi aswell. i have a wifi card but its the same outcome. i will see if all my firmwares are up to date and see if that solves this problem.

cormacyawl96

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

i will try it now thanks. Sorry im pretty new to pc. Only just build my first last year

cormacyawl96

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

just took out the card and im sticking with ethernet. one problem has lead to another now im getting this error code while trying to install the lan driver (-5001 : 0x80070002) any ideas??

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
This is unlikely, but perhaps your LAN port on the PC is set to the wrong speed. Normally it configures itself to the correct speed automatically, but perhaps this time this isn't the case?

Please see the following guide, which should work with pretty much every Windows 7 or newer PC: https://it.umn.edu/wired-network-speed-duplex-settings-1

You want this to either be set to "Auto Negotiation" or "100Mbit/s Fullduplex" with your router - it doesn't support 1Gbit/s, even if the cable and PC do.

cormacyawl96

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

I will give it a go after work thanks

cormacyawl96

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

just gave it a go there but still getting the same speeds :(

So, the internet speed on your computer (using wifi or ethernet) is 10% of what it is on your phone. We are sure that the units are the same on both devices (Mbps vs Mbps NOT MBps vs Mbps ... that capital B matters). We using the same test on computer and phone (some speed test servers are overloaded and give slower speeds). At this point, it is unlikely that hardware is to blame and the problem is more likely a software or configuration problem.

Things to try ... I assume have done some of these already:
1. Antivirus scan
2. Disable antivirus/firewall software and retest.
3. Disable (or uninstall) any software that promised to make your connection faster.

Let us know what you find out.

cormacyawl96

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

just got one of my friends to bring over his wifi booster and im getting 20mbps. So im guessing its the one that i have is the problem! Going to buy a good new one and see if it sorts out my problem. Thanks for your help :) Just need to find out now how to fix this error ha