[SOLVED] Phone wiring to DSL modem/router

mike the car guy

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Currently I have basic phone line going from the service entrance to a traditional phone jack in one room to another traditional in another room to the jack that goes up to the modem. Works fine although not as fast as I'd like, (but I'd always like it faster) but close to the speeds expected from the ISP.

Now more to clean things up, but might as well do it right, I'm thinking of rewiring from the service entrance direct to a jack that the modem can plug into. This will be a mostly exterior run. What wire or procedures should I use to do a quality job, without gold plating it. Phone wire? Cat 5? 6? 7? Key again is exterior.

Sorry for the low tech question, I did search, I'm sure it's been covered, but damned if I could find it.

Solution
Currently I have basic phone line going from the service entrance to a traditional phone jack in one room to another traditional in another room to the jack that goes up to the modem. Works fine although not as fast as I'd like, (but I'd always like it faster) but close to the speeds expected from the ISP.

Now more to clean things up, but might as well do it right, I'm thinking of rewiring from the service entrance direct to a jack that the modem can plug into. This will be a mostly exterior run. What wire or procedures should I use to do a quality job, without gold plating it. Phone wire? Cat 5? 6? 7? Key again is exterior.

Sorry for the low tech question, I did search, I'm sure it's been covered, but damned if I could...

kanewolf

Titan

Sorry for the low tech question, I did search, I'm sure it's been covered, but damned if I could find it.
Outdoor rated UV tolerant cat5e or cat6 if cheaper. Verity the UV resistance and that it is 100% solid copper.

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019

Exterior rated, solid conductor [not braided] CAT whaeer should work fine. For the outlets get the IDC [aka punch down] as they are less prone to long stingers which induce interference or short out from condensation like the screw outlets do [especially if you do not do this for a living]. there is no stripping this way, just insert, punch down with correct tool, and done.

Solution