Phoneline networking

I have a gateway P-3 933 and a P-4 3.0 both with install network card
that gateway installs into it systems. I currently have window xp home
edition installed on both. My question is how do I get these two
computer to see each other using the phoneline? I have tried to use
network wizard for new connection for home/office using the phoneline
but for some reason I can't figure out how to do this, is there some
other equipment I need to accomplish this or is there some steps I'm
missing, the wizard seems to be very comfussing when it comes to
setting up a local network using the phoneline and installed
equipment. Thanks Carl

You dont use a phone line, you use CAT5 or CAT6 cable. If you have a network
plugin in the back of your computer, and you have tried a phone line, then
phone connector should be real loose. If it isnt, then you do not have a
network card, you have a modem. Usually a modem will have two connections
right next to each other, both being the same size. A network connection
uses 8 wires, and is wider than a phone jack. If you do indeed have a
network card in each computer, then you need to go down to a computer store,
and get whats called a "Crossover Cable" to connect the systems together and
network them.

Dan

CLyles wrote:
> I have a gateway P-3 933 and a P-4 3.0 both with install network card
> that gateway installs into it systems. I currently have window xp home
> edition installed on both. My question is how do I get these two
> computer to see each other using the phoneline? I have tried to use
> network wizard for new connection for home/office using the phoneline
> but for some reason I can't figure out how to do this, is there some
> other equipment I need to accomplish this or is there some steps I'm
> missing, the wizard seems to be very comfussing when it comes to
> setting up a local network using the phoneline and installed
> equipment. Thanks Carl

So there's no way to do a phoneline connection using just the modem? Thanks
Carl

If the modem is also an HPNA device you can. I have a HPNA Combo modem
installed by gateway when I bought this computer. It was also a v.90 modem.
Now I use it for backup dial in and the phoneline network card for my home
network. I have three computers networked this way. the other two computers
use Diamond HOMEFREE cards.

These are some good sites:

http://www.putergeek.com/home_network/

http://www.homepna.org/

Pam

Stress is when you wake up screaming and realize you haven't fallen asleep
yet.
"Last night fear knocked on my door, faith answered and no one was there"

On 26 Jun 2004 02:34:21 -0700, ccrlyles@aol.com (CLyles) wrote:

>I have a gateway P-3 933 and a P-4 3.0 both with install network card
>that gateway installs into it systems. I currently have window xp home
>edition installed on both. My question is how do I get these two
>computer to see each other using the phoneline? I have tried to use
>network wizard for new connection for home/office using the phoneline
>but for some reason I can't figure out how to do this, is there some
>other equipment I need to accomplish this or is there some steps I'm
>missing, the wizard seems to be very comfussing when it comes to
>setting up a local network using the phoneline and installed
>equipment. Thanks Carl

You might be interested in reading the following article:
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=130&scid=33
(There are other companies that provide homelink phoneline net-
working; you may wish to google for more info).

You do need equipment similar to what is outlined there for your two
computers.

Since both computers have XP as their OS, you can directly connect
them together via the network wizard - but if you are going to use the
phoneline, I think you will have to install the homelink phoneline
cards in both computers.

HTH, and good luck. (Most of the networking solutions for using the
I-net are designed for high-speed connections.)

Shyrl

Neither of my systems have a HPNA device installed, only a PCI modem and
ethernet card. What is the best way to make a phoneline connection and what
equipment would I need. Running cable is not an option. I need to network two
computer at opposite ends of the house and there is no way to conceal cable,
also I don't want to invest a lot of money. Thanks Carl

On 27 Jun 2004 17:03:47 GMT, ccrlyles@aol.com (Ccrlyles) wrote:

>Neither of my systems have a HPNA device installed, only a PCI modem and
>ethernet card. What is the best way to make a phoneline connection and what
>equipment would I need. Running cable is not an option. I need to network two
>computer at opposite ends of the house and there is no way to conceal cable,
>also I don't want to invest a lot of money. Thanks Carl

If you have two physical phonelines (two phone numbers) going into the
house then you could set one up to make a dial up call with the modem
using dial up networking, and the second computer you could set up to
answer the incoming call with the modem.

Down side is that you'd need to pay your telco whatever they charge
for a call and you would tie up both your phone lines for the
duration.

Albert Alcoceba
<><
alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au
http://aussietrains.fotopic.net/
Remove REMOVE

Rocket

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001

2-line dial-up networking with 56k modems would be extremely slow.
--
Rocket