[SOLVED] Photon 1050 Dead or MB

Oct 21, 2019
Hey all, I have tried diagnosing this myself which I usually succeed at but I'm at a bit of a loss currently. When i boot I get this on my screen where the green lines are moving. I cannot even see the BIOS post or splash screen, sometimes it shows Windows logon screen icon but never shows the logon. At first I thought, oh bad GPU, but I have 2 video cards with 5 monitors and the problem is identical on both card outputs and follows to any monitor I plug. I highly doubt both cards failed at the exact same time in the exact same way so I ruled them out.

System:
MB: MSI MSI Gaming X99A GAMING 7 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM 3000 (PC4 24000)
GPU: 2 x ASUS|R9280-DC2T-3GD5 R9 280 R
PSU: ROSEWILL | PHOTON-1050 1050W RT
HD: 1TB Samsung EVO SSD

Problem Photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BD4LvQJc7CPzcUj4A
https://photos.app.goo.gl/992AJaznvSwSFpFa9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/q15QCYha2gWr5BuY6

The symptoms leading up to this condition:
Random program closes or shutdowns, but VERY intermittent.
Then consistent random shutdowns while trying to open a DirectX 11 powered MMORPG
Updated graphics drivers with no change.
I swapped primary monitor bank to 2nd card, all seemed ok.
Radeon manager started crashing but everything continued to operate normally.
Began a backup to prepare for Win10 upgrade and PC locked up and it's been this way ever since.,

What I've done:
Blew entire case out with air compressor.
New cable from PSU to wall.
Unplugged all peripherals except one GPU (I don't have onboard)
Tried to boot into BIOS, but I can't even see the splash screen with "Hit Del" option and blindly hitting it doesn't display
I can boot off a USB drive but the linens still persist
It automatically ran a chkdsk and it was fine.
I pulled the HD out and externally connected it and all files are present and it seems fine.

To me it seems to be either PSU or MB. The main reason I'm posting it here is because I'd like to know if there is any way it could be the PSU given the wacky shutdown behavior. I don't currently have a spare to swap in and I use this for work so I need it back up as soon as possible. Is there any way to test the PSU or MB without just replacing parts? I am proficient with a multimeter. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Which OS are you on and if Windows 10, which version of the OS are you dealing with? Which version of the BIOS are you on for your motherboard? How old is the PSU? Have you tried working with a similar PSU but of higher wattage(borrowed from a friend)?

Pertaining to the artifacting images you've linked above, that is often seen when the GPU is on it's way out or the PSU is faulty/failing.

Lutfij

Titan
Which OS are you on and if Windows 10, which version of the OS are you dealing with? Which version of the BIOS are you on for your motherboard? How old is the PSU? Have you tried working with a similar PSU but of higher wattage(borrowed from a friend)?

Pertaining to the artifacting images you've linked above, that is often seen when the GPU is on it's way out or the PSU is faulty/failing.

Solution
Oct 21, 2019

-Running Windows 7 Pro
-Not sure about BIOS version since I can't even see the POST
-PSU is from 2015 and has worked fine since purchase
-I have not borrowed from a friend yet I was trying to figure out a way to test without doing a swap and avoid a runaround trying to find a compatible PSU.
-Yes I agree about the artifacts but since it is displaying the same across multiple monitors and both of the 2 video cards the likelihood of both cards being bad and artifacting identically is pretty much zero.

TRENDING THREADS