Question Photos and Videos no longer working that share "date modified"

ktrainhurricane

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Let me preface this with an apology, because I'm pretty computer illiterate. So with that said, thank you in advance for any help!

I noticed the other day that certain photos saved on my computer no longer show a thumbnail and longer open. If I try to open with Photo Viewer (default), I get a message saying that Windows cannot open this file because it doesn't support the format, or it's not updated. If I try to open with Paint, I get a message saying that Paint cannot read the file; it's not a valid bitmap file or the format is not currently supported.

I also have some videos that no longer show thumbnails and will not play. If I open with VLC (default) the video just never loads (the video info bar at the top of the player just flashes repeatedly). If I open with Windows Media Player I get a message saying Windows encountered an error trying to play the file, and if I open with Movie Maker I just get a 7 second video that plays as a blank black screen (no matter which of the non-thumbnail having videos I try, they're always 7 seconds).

The 1 thing in common all these files have is that they were "Modified" on Nov. 24, 2022, even though they were downloaded / saved to my computer on different dates. I found this by right-clicking on the files, and then going to "Properties." The photos and videos that DO work have modified dates other than Nov. 24.

Obviously something happened on November 24...but can this be reversed and my files be made to start working again?

ktrainhurricane

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
where the image and video from? sound like it wasn't finish downloading before the pc was turn off
check ssd health?
They were saved from various different websites, AND at different times. One of them was even a screen recording of a video chat meeting I had, and not a saved file from the web.

I can confirm that they had all finished downloading because they were all previously working (prior to Nov. 24, I guess).