Question Photos corrupted after moving file in a low space external hard disk

May 29, 2020
I have some hundreds and thousands of photos in my external hdd, now my space is only 150 mb left . I need to move some video my files for my personal reasons, so after completing moving those files I found some of my images are corrupted. But I am not totally sure my photos got corrupted after moving these files or before moving. I moved some of my video files which were more than 450 mb in size but my hdd space was less than 150 mb left only. So my question is can file moving large files in a hdd where very low space left can make my photos get corrupted?

kanewolf

Titan
I have some hundreds and thousands of photos in my external hdd, now my space is only 150 mb left . I need to move some video my files for my personal reasons, so after completing moving those files I found some of my images are corrupted. But I am not totally sure my photos got corrupted after moving these files or before moving. I moved some of my video files which were more than 450 mb in size but my hdd space was less than 150 mb left only. So my question is can file moving large files in a hdd where very low space left can make my photos get corrupted?
Having thousands of photos in a single drive is a recipe for disaster. If these files are irreplaceable you need THREE copies, one of which is at a different physical location.
You would have to run CrystalDisk or some other disk SMART analysis tool to determine if your disk has issues. Low free space, alone shouldn't cause data corruption.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes.

For the most part, there should have been some warning of insufficient space....

And did you really use "Move" vs "Copy"?

Just about anything you do now could cause further data loss. Find a drive with lots of available space and copy your files to that drive.

Ensure that the files are indeed recoverable and readable.

The next step will be to try recovering lost files. Hopefully you have backups somewhere...