Photos of Nvidia's Tegra Note Tablet Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It'll probably be a decent device like shield, but let's hope it isn't as overpriced as shield.

InvalidError

Titan

I don't really see why people are so hung on 1080p on a 7" screen. The improvement over 720/768/800p is relatively minor under most normal viewing conditions. It may be "nice to have" but nowhere near essential in my book.

And if Nvidia releases a Tegra Tab, it will likely be more gaming-oriented. At 768p, that cuts GPU power requirements in half which should allow better battery life while gaming.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
The DirectStylus solution actually doesn't use a dedicated digitizer, but is a software solution that uses the Tegra 4 GPU.... which sounds terrible.. and is probably also responsible for the need of the lower res....

michalt

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Nvidia builds white label graphics cards which are then shipped by partners. Likely they're going to be doing the same thing with this tablet; this will allow partners in places like China and India to build high quality, low cost tablets and still support Tegra. Rumors are they're doing the same thing with phones with their upcoming cpu/gpu/cell phone chip. I doubt we'll see an Nvidia branded tablet as that would annoy all of their partners.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Do people really care that much about T4 since it took forever and a day to come out ever since Nvidia started their hype machine about it? I might care more about it if really ended up being the mobile SoC killer. But alas, it mostly matches qualcomm's S800, which makes it look pretty lackluster given all the Nvhype.

Regarding the resolution: I for one couldn't care less about super high pixel density panels in tablets. I'd much rather have a lower res screen and better battery life. To my eye, the difference between 720p and 1080p on a tablet screen is imperceptible.

I also couldn't care less about styluses on tablets. I hate to point to something that Steve Jobs said in a talk as something I admire, but he was right: styluses for mobile devices is stupidly dumb. Yes, there will be people who respond to this saying that they love their stylus--and I'm cool with that. I just wouldn't waste R&D money on a piece of tech that so few people would actually care about.

Still, I don't think NV will release a tablet of their own. I imagine they'll debut this device as some device manufactured by someone else, but the first commercially available tablet using the T4. My guess it'll be a joint announcement with whatever hardware partner they're going with. I think this is just leaks of their reference design unit. Didn't they have a T4 tablet on display at CES or something like that? Then again, I could be wrong.

But alas, it mostly matches qualcomm's S800, which makes it look pretty lackluster given all the Nvhype.

isn't that fine already? even qualcomm publicly said that Tegra 4 wont touch their snapdragon 600 let alone the 800 earlier this year and yet T4 still able to compete with snapdragon 800.

I imagine they'll debut this device as some device manufactured by someone else, but the first commercially available tablet using the T4.

what do you mean by that? some of T4 based device already in the market like HP Slate x2

Status
Not open for further replies.