HWresearcher

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2015
I have the latest version of Photoshop (20.0.4) and some time last week it started behaving very weirdly. It refuses to open files, it refuses to save files, and it refuses to create files. If photoshop is not open and I locate a Photoshop Document, it opens that way but then I run into the issue of the file not saving at all, as well as photoshop being very weird such as the free transform tool completely not working, or things I paint simply disappearing as if I didn't paint at all. I have tried reinstalling photoshop, I have tried updating my graphics card drivers, I have tried rolling back my graphics card drivers, I have tried reinstalling my graphics card drivers, I have tried resetting my CMOS, I have tried resetting the preferences, I have tried running it as an administrator, I have tried disabling GPU usage and file handling under preferences. None of these have worked. Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere, and AfterEffects, all work fine, but not Photoshop, which is the one I use most.

The only thing to have changed in the past week is my mouse, I had a Logitech Performance MX wireless mouse that died and was replaced with a Logitech G602 Gaming mouse. This meant I had to uninstall drivers for the Logitech Unifying dongle and install drivers for the new mouse.

The only temporary fix is to reboot my computer, which I hate doing because it takes half an hour for all of my startup programs to finish.

System specs
CPU: AMD FX-8350 (Black edition) 8 core processor with a base clock speed of 4.0GHz, and a turbo of 4.2GHz
Memory: x4 GSkill chips with 8GB each with a clock speed of 1866MHz.
Graphics Card: NVidia GTX1060 6GB edition from EVGA
MotherBoard: GA-970-DS3P rev2.1

HWresearcher

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2015
Is your Creative Cloud account still in good standing?

Have you tried any of the CC troubleshooting methods?

I had a tech support guy remotely access my machine, and he couldn't figure out what's wrong. He cleared settings, he renamed the preference folder, he used the adobe photoshop creative cloud cleaner, so on and so forth. He escalated the issue, but my business can't slow down or stop because of the loss of my main tool.

HWresearcher

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2015
STATUS UPDATE:
One thing that I have noticed is that the problem occurs when the computer either sleeps or hibernates while photoshop is open. If such is the case, then this goes back even farther than I thought (before it used to simply lock up and become completely unresponsive... It would sort itself out after I restarted the app.)
I'm starting to think that this goes back to when I rebuilt my computer in late 2018. Before I had a completely different Graphics card (GTX-960 MSI 2GB Edition), Motherboard (ASRock 960GM-VGS3 FX), and processor (AMD FX6300) If photoshop is still looking for an old system, then what I need to do is get it accustomed to the new system, but I have done several things. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If it really takes you 30 mins to boot the system, you should get a new drive and do a clean Windows setup on that.

Not sure what the post about "photoshop looking for an old system is", if you changed the motherboard, you should have a clean Windows setup on it, and then a clean Photoshop setup on that. A clean Photoshop setup should not be looking for some "old system". It's not a person that remembers things, a clean setup to a program is a clean setup.

If you did not do a clean Windows setup when swapping motherboards, that should be done.

If I do that, I may look into getting an SSD, it'll have to wait though. Can you recommend getting a 2TB SSD? Is it worth the price? How long do they usually last?

For most uses, I would stick with a 500gb-1tb SSD with a larger storage drive. Of course that depends on the usage. If you depend on the computer for work and speed is needed, then spending more on an SSD is reasonable. They last long enough that you don't have to worry about it failing any more than a standard drive. I have had a pair of old 64gb SSDs in RAID 0 running in a system for years, and when I first got them they were probably 2 years old already. I sold that system, the person that got it still has them running without issues.