Distinguished
May 6, 2007
Specs:
q6600
vista HP 64bit
8800gtx
4gb RAM
150g Raptor

When I am on photoshop CS3 extended it becomes very laggy doing the simplest of things I will get a paint brush to like 200px and make a stroke and it will lagg badly. Also when I just click on paint brush I will sometimes get the loading circle for a few secs. I will look at taskmanager and my cpu usage and it will use 100% sometimes. Also I will look at cpu-z and it goes from like 1.5 I forgot the actual number to 2.4 in like for a little then back. Like I will do a laggy brush stroke and right after it is done it will go back to 1.5. Is it just a vista problem or what. I can't believe my computer will lag so bad :cry: I am sad. Please help!

rsetter1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
I just read an article on Photoshop CS3 at Adobe PhotoShop News.
Here is the address if Moderator lets it go. http://photoshopnews.com/2006/12/22/is-photoshop-cs3-a-64-bit-app/

It dosent sound like Photoshop PS3 is a 64bit program.
It might be out dated.

ryanthesav

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
After searching around for a while, I caught wind of it being printer related, more specifically the printspooler service in windows. I had recently moved and not hooked up one of my networked printers. After removing the offline printers (and printer that was trying to connect but would time-out) Photoshop opened files and created new ones with a snap!! I’m very glad to have resolved this issue, it was getting very annoying having Photoshop lag on a Quad Core system running 4gb of DDR2 on a Rapter! Anyways, glad to have it cleared up! For anyone out there having this same issue, remove any offline printers or ones that cannot connect!

antonwalker

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
Ok I have network printer sharing off on my network and sharing center. I don't have any printers connected to my pc right now. Also is disableing pagefile possible on just photoshop or do I have to turn it off completely.

PS: thank you so much for your help and thanks for the complements!

With four gigs I really think you can totally disable your pagefile through windows. If you encounter problems just re-enable it.

antonwalker

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
I think I found it I went to system and on the side it said advanced system settings then I go to the advanced tab and then go to performance and then it shows virtual memory and you can open it and it says automatically adjust virtual memory and you can check yes or no and if i check no I can turn paging off. So is that what I do??

Also in that same general area it says allow romote access and it is on, do I want to turn that off for security.

Redline24

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Yes, turn remote access off, it's useless.

I don't think disabling virtual memory is going to do a thing for you, but... you simply turn paging (virtual memory paging) off.

antonwalker

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
Also I dont know if this has anything to do with photoshop being laggy, sometimes when I am playing a game I will get an error message that says bla bla bla has stopped working windows is looking for a solution. After a few secs it will say windows has not found a solution then it will ask to close program.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Redline24, you're very wrong, remote desktop is extremely usefull if you know how to use it :)

As for the OP, don't turn off your pagefile, set it to at least 1GB, just because you "think" you have enough ram doesn't mean Vista thinks you do. Your ram will be used before your pagefile anyway.

Best to kill any unneeded process' first, disable any service you don't need including the print spooler. Then see how it runs. Also make sure your scratch disk is on another drive, not partition. PS3 won't take advantage of Vista or XP 64, but it runs perfectly fine as a 32bit app.

I run PS3 on two Athlon 64 3700+'s with 2GB of ram and RAID 0 Raptors, never once have I had a slowdown with either machine. My wife and I do a LOT of editing with 6-10 megapixel images, my wife regularly has 20 or more images open at any one time.

Let me know if you need anymore help!