Question Physical Copy version of PC games

I have not had a DVD/Blu-Ray drive in my pc’s for over 10 years. The latest Call of Duty is 152GB, how many disc’s would that be? Personally I prefer to download games for both Xbox and PC. It must also be better for the environment not producing discs that will at some point end up in landfill.

I have not had a DVD/Blu-Ray drive in my pc’s for over 10 years. The latest Call of Duty is 152GB, how many disc’s would that be? Personally I prefer to download games for both Xbox and PC. It must also be better for the environment not producing discs that will at some point end up in landfill.

That is a good point.... I must admit I always throw in a DVD writer into my machines as I have quite a few older bits of software I like to use (and a drive is all of £20) but agreed most modern machines don't include them. Quite a few games offer a boxed edition as a collectors item.

abhipw

Reputable
May 19, 2017
1) Its not possible for me to download games >50 GB because of internet pack limitations. Add updates, patches and fixes I will end up crossing the monthly plan quota.

2) Whether its PC or console, these large games end up eating space (installation file+installed game). So where will other data go? If you digitally download the game on console this is a big problem although external HDDs are available which are costly.

3) I am ready to shell extra for physical standard copy. I end up searching for physical copies but I find console versions of physical copy like COD MW (2019), SoTR, TR, Control, Metro Exodus etc in India. Physical copies of PC version may be available in other countries but they are not available in India.

abhipw

Reputable
May 19, 2017
I agree on environment point with you.

Because the physical sales have been dropped to like 15% in 2018 compared to over 50% in 2009.

All the works to make physical copies and you don't even know if you're gonna sell them is not good on the charts the shares holder sees at the company meeting and it won't be better in the future. One day you will have 1 file of a game on your drive. The client executable. Everything will be on the cloud and will be downloaded as needed. That's the future of gaming.

abhipw

Reputable
May 19, 2017
Lets hope the point about cloud installation will happen in future. It will be good if they give the option of backing up the installation file on external storage which will reduce the reliance on cloud if we uninstall the game and plan to play it later or switch machines.
Because the physical sales have been dropped to like 15% in 2018 compared to over 50% in 2009.

All the works to make physical copies and you don't even know if you're gonna sell them is not good on the charts the shares holder sees at the company meeting and it won't be better in the future. One day you will have 1 file of a game on your drive. The client executable. Everything will be on the cloud and will be downloaded as needed. That's the future of gaming.

Last edited:
Lets hope the point about cloud installation will happen in future. It will be good if they give the option of backing up the installation file on external storage which will reduce the reliance on cloud if we uninstall the game and plan to play it later or switch machines.

Don't be too naive ;) They are going for more money and more control. Not the opposite. It's probably their dreams to give us 0 control whatsoever. Sad but true :/

1) Its not possible for me to download games >50 GB because of internet pack limitations. Add updates, patches and fixes I will end up crossing the monthly plan quota.

2) Whether its PC or console, these large games end up eating space (installation file+installed game). So where will other data go? If you digitally download the game on console this is a big problem although external HDDs are available which are costly.

3) I am ready to shell extra for physical standard copy. I end up searching for physical copies but I find console versions of physical copy like COD MW (2019), SoTR, TR, Control, Metro Exodus etc in India. Physical copies of PC version may be available in other countries but they are not available in India.

So the real issue is point 3, you can't find those copies in India. For that question as to why you need to check with the game companies and their distribution since they are the ones that decide on things like that. It may not be easy to find the answer since the first few levels of support are not likely to have any idea about it without talking to the managers over them and probably involving at least one other group other than end-user support.

TRENDING THREADS