Question Physical Security Recommendations for Wireless AP

SurpriseSlayer1

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
So I am in need of some great ideas for the physical security of my access point. My setup is a large wood 4x4 in the ground with a wood sign attached to the top of it. I have my access point mounted to the sign, about 6.5 feet above the ground. My issue is that the AP is high enough to reach it from the ground. I am looking for ideas to secure the AP to the pole with a lock of some sort. Let me know what you think!

PS the AP I'm using is an EnGenius EWS871AP.

Thanks in advance!

USAFRet

Titan
Trying to prevent it from being stolen. I realize it’s impossible to completely secure it, but I wasn’t sure if anyone knew of some kind of lock or something.
If there is actual asshat person traffic around, making the enclosure out of TiG welded Unobtanium layered with carbon fiber will just cause the asshats to up their game.
They'll cut the pole, or just cut the feedline.

If there is NOT actual asshat traffic around, nothing special need be done, except maybe elevate it beyond normal person reach.

I was thinking the costs to secure this likely will be as much as the AP until I looked that unit up and its over $1500. I can see why you would be worried someone would steal it. There are all kinds of different special security screws that are hard to remove. Nothing would stop someone with a reciprocating saw though.

Maybe cover it with a cheaper plastic electrical box. The wifi signal should not be affected much and nobody would think anything of it. Especially if you hook a fake light to it.

Still why is that device so expensive. Do you really need 4x4 mimo not a lot of end devices support it. I am used to looking at ubiquiti gear where most stuff is well under $200. I did not find a fancy 4x4 unit on their site though so maybe that is the reason for the high cost.

geof2001

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
Drill out the heads of the mounting screws after install so can't take them back out. What someone already mentioned though about just cutting down your post and taking the whole thing is always gonna be a possibility. Do what someone else suggested here and install a cheap IP camera higher up on the pole but disguise it like a solar plate or something.

Reactions: SurpriseSlayer1

USAFRet

Titan
I was thinking the costs to secure this likely will be as much as the AP until I looked that unit up and its over $1500. I can see why you would be worried someone would steal it. There are all kinds of different special security screws that are hard to remove. Nothing would stop someone with a reciprocating saw though.

Maybe cover it with a cheaper plastic electrical box. The wifi signal should not be affected much and nobody would think anything of it. Especially if you hook a fake light to it.

Still why is that device so expensive. Do you really need 4x4 mimo not a lot of end devices support it. I am used to looking at ubiquiti gear where most stuff is well under $200. I did not find a fancy 4x4 unit on their site though so maybe that is the reason for the high cost.
I was thinking "4x4" was the size of the pole upon which this is installed.