[SOLVED] Physically installing a NVMe M.2 drive - in need of install tips.

So I tried once to install my MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro 80mm (2280-S3-M) but ended up loosing the screw. This was my first attempt at installing one of these SFF drives and it didn't go well.

Can I use a magnetically tipped screw driver on my next attempt? If so I think that would make it easier for me. My vision isn't the best and it seems like I need a 3rd hand to do this right.

Can any of you tell me about your experience and offer me some tips on making this work?

Solution
Yes magnetic screwdrivers are fine. Just push the drive into the slot like any other drive, then put the screw back in finger-tight to make sure it doesn't come loose later. If you don't have a set of electronics screwdrivers you may want to think about getting something like this. They're not absolutely necessary but it would lessen the chance of stripping the screws.

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
if you're really that bad with your hands, you can use tools like automatic screwdriver. get one hand on a flashlight from your phone or something, while the other hand holding the automatic magnetic screwdriver. or you can just... you know, get your GPU and CPU cooler off, put the thing, and done.

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
Yes magnetic screwdrivers are fine. Just push the drive into the slot like any other drive, then put the screw back in finger-tight to make sure it doesn't come loose later. If you don't have a set of electronics screwdrivers you may want to think about getting something like this. They're not absolutely necessary but it would lessen the chance of stripping the screws.

Reactions: JQB45
Solution