Question Physically replacing a HHD in a Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2 Raid+

mmurley

Reputable
Jan 24, 2020
I had a drive fail in a Raid 0 JBOD configuration. But I cannot, for the life of me figure out how to actually replace the disk (other than physically inserting it).

As far as I can tell, only the Disk 1 is actually seen as formatted by Windows 10 when the drive enclosure with blank disks is initialized / formatted initially. Disk management shows Disk 1 as the total size partition (7+ TB in my case) and initialized / unallocated. Disks 2-4 are not initialized / not formatted.

There was only 1+ TB of files on the enclosure and they are backed up, so that's fine.

So when drive 4 failed I should have just been able to replace it with another 2 TB drive, right? Except that doesn't work. When I do the "drive" (enclosure) never shows.

I'd ask on Mediasonic's forum, but the administrator has never activated my account.

kanewolf

Titan
I had a drive fail in a Raid 0 JBOD configuration. But I cannot, for the life of me figure out how to actually replace the disk (other than physically inserting it).

As far as I can tell, only the Disk 1 is actually seen as formatted by Windows 10 when the drive enclosure with blank disks is initialized / formatted initially. Disk management shows Disk 1 as the total size partition (7+ TB in my case) and initialized / unallocated. Disks 2-4 are not initialized / not formatted.

There was only 1+ TB of files on the enclosure and they are backed up, so that's fine.

So when drive 4 failed I should have just been able to replace it with another 2 TB drive, right? Except that doesn't work. When I do the "drive" (enclosure) never shows.

I'd ask on Mediasonic's forum, but the administrator has never activated my account.
RAID 0 and JBOD are totally different. Which was it? RAID0 with data spread across drives or JBOD with each drive being independent ?

mmurley

Reputable
Jan 24, 2020
RAID 0 and JBOD are totally different. Which was it? RAID0 with data spread across drives or JBOD with each drive being independent ?
Apparently I am confused by actual nomenclature versus Mediasonic forum posts.

Mediasonic says there are two types of RAID 0 - spanning mode (BIG) and striping mode - on these enclosures. Their manual calls it JBOD link to screen shot: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3f3AZemqhkB9NP8W9

On their forum the non-striping is (as far as I can tell) called "JBOD" by people when they don't call out striping.

My enclosure shows the RAID 0 SPN light .

I'd

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
You have the 8 bay enclosure?

From the confusing and non-standard nomenclature from Mediasonic, SPN == JBOD.
But RAID 0 and JBOD should never exist in the same sentence. 2 completely different things.

The user manual also never mentions what happens with a dead drive in JBOD config.

So...put the new drive in, reinitialize the array (which will kill all data on it), and recover the data from your backup.

mmurley

Reputable
Jan 24, 2020
You have the 8 bay enclosure?

From the confusing and non-standard nomenclature from Mediasonic, SPN == JBOD.
But RAID 0 and JBOD should never exist in the same sentence. 2 completely different things.

The user manual also never mentions what happens with a dead drive in JBOD config.

So...put the new drive in, reinitialize the array (which will kill all data on it), and recover the data from your backup.
No, it's the 4 bay. I put the new disk in and nothing happened. The array doesn't show in anything. And I still have aHHD error indicator on the front panel (no light in the array).

USAFRet

Titan
No, it's the 4 bay. I put the new disk in and nothing happened. The array doesn't show in anything. And I still have aHHD error indicator on the front panel (no light in the array).
POssibly the whole array, such as it is, needs to be rebuilt.

I have a slightly different 4 bay MediaSonic
Just 4 completely individual dries.

mmurley

Reputable
Jan 24, 2020
I fixed it (in a round-about way).

I changed the RAID to RAID 5, then put the new drive in bay 1 and restored the files.

Apparently drive 1 is always going to show as the original set up / file structure. Even when I deleted the partition and reformatted that 2 TB drive it showed as 7+ TB.

I would have to return the original drive 1 to an unutilized & unformated state & I don't know how to do that (and Google was no help).

I've also got Mediasonic Probox 4s (4 separate drives in 1 enclosures). I use drive pool software to turn them into virtual volumes. Much easier to replace failed drives.

USAFRet

Titan
And you do have a regularly scheduled backup of this?
RAID 5, JBOD, or whatever?

And FWIW, RAID 5 loses the capacity of one of the drives.
4x 2TB + RAID 5 = 6TB available space. (not 8TB/7.28TB)

mmurley

Reputable
Jan 24, 2020
And you do have a regularly scheduled backup of this?
RAID 5, JBOD, or whatever?

And FWIW, RAID 5 loses the capacity of one of the drives.
4x 2TB + RAID 5 = 6TB available space. (not 8TB/7.28TB)
I know about the space reduction. That's why I was using their RAID 0 Spanning / JBOD.

I had this backed up because it was less than 2 TB of data. Backing up huge storage means huge backup.

I wish Mediasonic would actually explain how to replace failed drives in that configuration.

TRENDING THREADS