Physics Card - Is it worth it?

tecmo34

Administrator
What are the pro's and con's of adding a dedicated physics card?

I have an open PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot and I was thinking about adding a single slot 9500GT 1GB ( http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0295225 ) as a dedicated physics card to go along with my 9800GTX SLI configuration. Would I see a benefit in adding the card or just a waste of money. The main games I play are COD4, CODWaW, Tiger Woods 08, Medal of Honer Airborne, Need for Speed Undercover, and a little Crysis ever now and than.

Thanks for your feedback!!

Personally i have seen demo's of what it can do and to me all it means is that when you shoot something up you get a few more bits of debris flying about.
Yes it does look better but its a DX9 vs DX10 thing as far as i am concerned, does it look good well yes but do i need it or will it significantly enhance the gaming experiance. No

Mactronix

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
You'd have to know what to look for in terms of physics (it's not something that can be seen as easily). As for the games, you'd want to look at games that support it and then also to what extent. But even then I don't see any worth in it - think for a minute and tell me where would you really like to see more advanced physics as opposed to what you are currently seeing? Then think what dedicated physics should in ideal terms bring: isolated cases of "hardcore" physics or larger scale physics application.

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
No. 9800GTX SLI is more than enough. It is a total waste of money. You must already be getting 100+ fps in everything you play. So no problem.

tecmo34

Administrator
Thanks for your feedback....

I was leaning toward that it doesn't add much benefit but I have an open PCI Express 2.0 slot that I could've add another card to, so I want to see if it was worth it since my board doesn't support 3-way SLI. Don't know why you have 3 slots and don't support 3-way SLI but who really understands why manufacturers do what they do.